Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The truth about reeds and reed cages!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The truth about reeds and reed cages!

Any news on the dyno runs Alky?

Old 04-06-2004, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey ernie Im brad's friend Keven from houston. I work with him at FMC. I have a 2002 banshee. I have the delta V-force reeds on it. I never heard of G3 Power Curve Reed Valves. Maybe u can give me some advice of what else to do to my bike. I have it ported and polished from trinity racing, cool head with 18 cc domes, advancement timing plate, pj 34 mm carbs with k&n pod filters, 6 in swingarm. I think its a mild port job pro mx. I running 152 mains on my carbs with 100 oct. gas. I was wonding how do u like the t-rex 400cc heads? I want to put some CPI inframe pipes on my bike. I open for any ideals. Thank's Keven

Old 04-06-2004, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

I have answers to your questions. I will PM you![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2004, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

I just installed my G3 Reeds and Intake Boost Bottle from 1dirracing. And yes it makes a huge difference. I am stock motor with Toomey TR-6 Pipes. I went from a 280 which the toomey kit provides to a ???nmain. The whole kit is just insaine the front end just lifts with 1/4 throttle all the way to 3rd gear. I noticed a huge difference in the sound of the exhaust alot deeper and throttle responce is right there all the time. My banshee with just the toomey kit had a low end bog until 1/4 throttle. This kit seems to have fixed all that. William over at 1dirracing is a great guy and knows his sh$t, just give him a call and talk to him.

Old 08-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Trailblazer

Reed Valve Comparison

Click the above link, then click on the attachment for a dyno comparison of various reed cages, including the DIR reed valve. The V-Force is still the best.

Regards,

Buttermilk

Old 08-11-2004, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Buttermilk385
Reed Valve Comparison

Click the above link, then click on the attachment for a dyno comparison of various reed cages, including the DIR reed valve. The V-Force is still the best.

Regards,

Buttermilk
Dude as far as im concerned I will never again use V-Force. I had a whole brand new race motor on my Blaster destroyed because of the rinky dink materials and poor craftsmenship that goes into the construction of the V-Force reed valves. On a stock motor their alright, but once you start getting heavy port work and what not done to your bike the V-Force cages just dont stand up real well. What happened to me was first, the reed petals themselfs wore out and frayed after just 12 or so hours of use. So I bought a replacement set for a whopping 50 bucks and changed them out.
Well needless to say after about 10 hours my motor just takes a chit. I figure, well, maybe I fried my rings. I first pull the carb off and then the intake manifold and reed valve. I first noticed that there were two of the brand new, $50 reed petals just laying on the inside of my cylinder intake area. Then I look at the damn reed valve itself and notice that two of the reed petal screws are missing. So I think to myself, hmmmm, wonder where they are.

So I pulled the top end off and BAM! There they are. The screws just came out LOCK TITE and all. Why, because the V-Force reed valve is made out of crappy plastic. The screws that got sucked into my top end destroyed my rings, mutalated my piston, and got slammed into the squishband on my head so hard and so many times that they made perminent indentations in the squish area. The two screws eventually ended up burrying themselfs into the top of the piston.

Just like that a cheap plastic $120 V-Force Delta 2 reed valve destroyed a $1300 race motor with less that 25 hours on it. Now, I too decided to go with the G3s. When I first recieved them I immediately noticed the HUGE DIFFERENCE in construction between the G3s and V-Force. Instead of using cheep azz plastic like V-Force, they are made out of metal. Came with a reed spacer and the intake portion of the unit is just plain out radical and intense. The reed petals last longer on the G3 too compared to the petals for V-Force. The funny thing is, is that the two units are the same in cost. But light years apart in power, reliability, dependability, and construction and yes, power too.

From someone whos tried them all, take it from me, G3s are the best. But know this, there is still NO substitution for good old fashioned port work. The G3s work SICK with quality portwork. Port first and then slap them G3s in and hold on. Also I would like to add that Will of 1dirRacing is a great individual to deal with. Very honest, informative, knowledgeable, and prompt with the shipping. I highly recommend dealing with him.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

It is good to see a lot of happy customers with the G-3's. The V-Force team for a long time have made a lot of money off of us and led us to belive there is nothing out there that comes close to them as far as performance. Well there time is ending very soon because of the G-3's.

I use them why aren't you.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

I'm sorry but V-Force suck. Plain and simple!!! I have run V-Force in many years in snowmobiles dirtbikes my old zilla and never say much of a increase after installing them. Sorry but I'm not going to base anything off results from Plantsand and the link does not work. It all depends on what there setup was to test them was it just a plain HP or was it a Flow test. Was it jetted correctly because if you don't have the G3's jetted correctly it will suck you really need to have it dialed in and I don't think a lot of people out there even understand jetting properly.

G3 all the way. I wouldn't put V-force in if it was free. Thats just mean to my toyz.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Banshee2003 I like the way you think!!

You brought up a very important point about JETTING PROPERLY with the G-3's. William send out with every reed gages he sells about how to jet and customer service is second to none. He is always there to help with what every he sells you.

Old 08-12-2004, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

I have the g3's, there is a very noticible difference between them and the boysen dual stage I was previously running. Like everyone has said, Will is great to talk too, he was more then happy to answer the questions I had.

Quick Reply: The truth about reeds and reed cages!