Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor rear brakes failed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 04:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor rear brakes failed!

Last ride the rear brakes went away![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Got back to camp and checked the fluid...it was full. Pumped the pedal and held down (which happened to be wayyyy down) and cracked the bleed valve on caliper...very little pressure [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] Did this multiple times with no recovery of the brake...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Any suggestions?

Old 01-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anybody experience this [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2004, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

When rotors bend they push the calipers piston in so far it could take 4 or 5 pumps of the pedal for it to come back out enough to hit the brakes. Either that or you busted a line.

I have rarely seen the master cylinder or caliper go bad. check the rotor, check the line, and bleed it if both of them are ok. It will take alot of bleeding if the air is at the master cylinder.

Old 01-27-2004, 03:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had to replace the master cylinder on my 2004 Raptor last summer.

Bought the damn thing, rode it for about an hour w/o any problems. Parked it.

Then, about a week before I was to load it on my trailer and drag it out west (Arizona/Utah/Moab) I decided to take it for a REAL ride.... After riding it hard for about an hour or so.. NO rear brakes.

Took it into the dealer who bled the brakes, refilled it and said it was fine. Yeah! Got it back to my summer house, took it for a spin.... Same damn problem. Now I'm pissed because I'm supposed to be leaving for my trip shortly! Took it back to the dealer who said that the master cylinder was bad and that they would have to order a new one which happened to be back ordered for 3-6 weeks.. (Remember, this bike has less than a couple hrs on it!) -- Well, needless to say I'm quite upset because I specifically purchased this bike for my annual summer trip!!! Anyways, to make a long story short I ended up having them ship the part to a dealer in Arizona where I dropped the bike off for a day and had it fixed.. but basically I trailered a brand new broken Raptor from Michigan to Arizona where I had to chill for a couple of days before I was on with my trip......

Misc. Out West Pics

I actually ended up riding my Grizzly most of the time anyways but it sure would have sucked not to be able to come back to camp at night and cruise the Raptor around the mountains!!!

Anyways, that was my experience with the rear brakes on my new Raptor..... No problems since.. but then again, I haven't ridden it that much either...

Old 01-27-2004, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

check out the reliability on the polls.

Old 01-27-2004, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

QTIP, I sure hope your dealer smiled when he told you... and refunded the amount you paid for their crappy service work. I think a quick note to the area Yamaha service rep is in order...

Generally I have nothing but kudos for my dealer in VA. On at least 3 occasions they have stepped up to the plate and paid for things, and gone to bat for me with Yamaha. Why they even replaced a frame one time gratis when my son hit a tree. They are not afraid to stand up and admit their mistakes when it is evident, and they always have fixed everything right....

Old 01-27-2004, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, it actually involved three different dealers.

The one I bought it from (Up north by my summer place, G-aylord Motorsports)

The dealer where I live.... (K&W Cycle)

and the Dealer in Glendale Arizona (Metro-Powersports)

I bought my Grizzly in 2000 for $6000.00 CASH from the dealer where I live (K&W Cycle, Utica, MI) and they screwed me hard. (The day after I bought it Yamaha had a promotion for anyone that bought a Grizzly where they would get a free winch) -- SO I called them the next day when I found out about the promotion and they basically told me too bad... Go fly a Kite... SOOOO I swore I would never buy anything from them again...

So I bought my Raptor from the dealer up north by my summer house (G-aylord Motorsports) -- They are the ones that bled the brakes and said they were fine... SO... after I found out the brakes were bad (again) I didn't have time to leave it up north (I was picking it up to bring back downstate to take on my trip) so I threw it on the trailer and brought it to the local dealer where I live (K&W Cycle, the ones I refuse to ever buy anything from again) ... They are the ones that diagnosed it as a bad master cylinder and had the part shipped to Metro Powersports in Glendale, AZ... (which never showed up anyways)

Now THAT dealer kicked *** in Arizona. (Metro-Powersports) They treated me like you are supposed to be treated even though I didn't buy it from them! They took a master cylinder off of a Raptor still in the crate and put it on my bike and sent me on my way... talk about service!!!!

Oh well.. Such is life..... I've learned to accept that customer service sucks *** these days... In the spring my Raptor will be paid off so I'm buying a nice new Warrior for my girl.... so now all I have to do is decide where to buy it from! I wish I could give my business to Metro-Powersports in AZ however they are 2300 miles away. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2004, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Well, it looks like you at least had a happy ending.... I'd still give Yamaha a call on the two that were less than helpful or honest. Although I can see the one's point... I'd have thought they would have done something for you. It sounds like you got a hell of a deal on it any way... so maybe that was part of their thinking... hard to say. I will say this though, dealers that treat their customers like that do not deserve to be in business. There is no reason to put up with that kind of behavior, or give them your dollars. With the Internet these days, and the manufacturers putting dealerships everywhere they can, there is no reason you can't take it somewhere else.

I hear these horror stories all the time... Luckily, I have a dealer that treats me right... and believe me, I can go elsewhere with many choices available... I guess when you spend close to $60K over 6 years in one shop, you get treated well... but I see it every time I go there... that is how they do business... they treat everyone the same.

Good luck with the warrior, they are fine machines....