Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2 cold for 2 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 07:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 cold for 2 stroke

I woke up today thinking i might be able to get the axle put back on my bike and go for a little rip but i guess not. Its -37' outside! i think i stay inside today

Old 01-27-2004, 08:28 AM
Trailblazer

nah its never too cold for a 2 stroke..they stay running once they get warmed up..but those 4 strokes cant get em runnin cant keep them runnin

Old 01-27-2004, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

Sup chad, I gess we will have to tell luke, that they said on hear that its never to cold for a 2 strock. haha
But no no he knows everything

Old 01-27-2004, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

shouldnt you be at skool today?

Old 01-27-2004, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

mine starts 3rd kick with the choke out. just make sure you let it warm up good. in that cold of weather you can seize a pistons really fast.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, thats the problem in cold weather, that darn 20 degrees jetting rule for 2 strokers. my cousin didnt think he had to rejet his banshee from the summer months. he went out on the ice and rode it and the darn thing was way too lean, you could tell very easily. unfortunately, he still doesnt think he needs to rejet. is it possible to overcome rejetting with a different fuel/oil mix? i dont think it is but im open to enlightenment...

Old 01-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer

Your fuel/oil mix will change your jetting also. More oil will make for a leaner mixture, less oil then richer. So unless you can reduce the amount of oil then you need to rejet.

Old 01-27-2004, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

More oil would not be leaner, That make it richer
and less oil woudl make it lean, If ya run a bike LEAN, that means you have not enought oil in your gas, and that you motor will get to hot and usually lockup!

Old 01-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so theoretically, you could just change your fuel/oil mix and never rejet your quad for temperature? what about pipes or other mods?

Old 01-27-2004, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer

I have to disagree and here is why: A jet of a certain size will only flow some much volume. With premix, you have oil and gus flow through that particular jet together. If you add more oil then you have less fuel available, so your engine will run leaner. Less oil then you are running more fuel through your jets so the engine gets a richer mixture. The oil is for lubrication, not combustion. Thats the tuff part about premix at times. If you change the mix ratio or even the oil type, then you usually need to rejet for MAXIMUM performance. Thats why once you find a good mixture and brand of oil, you should stay with it. Once you have the premix you are going to run, then you have the fun of setting up your jetting.
You could get away with changing you mix ratio to compensate for jetting, but then you run into problems on the other end of the spectrum: spooge and fouled plugs if you have too much oil, and fried bearings from too little oil. Thats why most 2 stroke guys that run all year have such a large selection of jets. Oh and yes a pipe will change jetting requirments. Thats why I like my engine. It is an old suzuki 750 three cyclinder 2 stroke. It has oil injection, but directly to the bearings,instead of at the carbs like the banshees and blasters, so I have no mix ratio to deal with and i can change to amount of oil by just changing the linkage adjustment going to the oil pump. If I am dragging then I open it up for the higher load and increase in RPMS, just playing and trail riding, I close it somewhat. With my setup, jetting is easier because I dont have to deal with how much oil is going through the carb jets with the fuel. Just air/fuel ratio, instead of air/fuel/oil.

Quick Reply: 2 cold for 2 stroke