Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yfz450 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yfz450 exhaust

My brother has the alba and that thing rips. It is loud though and the price was very hard to beat.

Old 02-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default yfz450 exhaust

Freeze is on to something here guys........ If you think its better, explain WHY its better. Just by saying, "sparks", "alba", "HMF", etc. really doesn't tell the guy squat. How about where it affects the power? Is it a low-end torque pipe, or is it a high end screamer? Or is it a mid-range monster with a strong punch? Also How loud is it? Does it come with a spark arrestor, etc? These are very important questions that should be answered. Not just, "Brand X, Cause its the coolest.......". Not real informative....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I think it would really be alot more helpful. Just .02

Old 02-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Tee
Weekend Warrior
Default yfz450 exhaust

I agree with Freeze and Flynbryn also. I've been shopping for a pipe also but it's confusing because people just list a name with no explanation. I always hear GTYR and Sparks. Does anybody have any experienced input on the HMF or the FMF Powercore with the Powerbomb header? Is $400 a good price for the FMF Powercore pipe with header? Anybody knows how any of these compare in noise to others? Is there a significant difference in getting a full system in comparison to a slip on? Thanks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default yfz450 exhaust

From what I can gather of the hmf web site is that a full system makes more HP that just adding the slip on. You need to figure out if that extra couple of HP is worth the extra money. Then a friend of mine is running a GYT-R slip on pipe. Its the all aluminium one. The pipe looks very well made and after a while of using it, he has no complaints. What I also like about the pipe is that is has a spark arrestor and is not very load if the RPM is low. So if you ride around slowly, people will not get to upset with the extra noise. Open that puppy up and it gets load, but not that it will get your ears bleeding.

The 450 has some holes in the airbox, installed a Dynojet kit and the GYT-R slip-on. The bike is amazing. Dyno about 45HP. It has incredible throttle response, and when I ride it i want to trade my raptor in for a 450.

I am sure there are other makes of exhaust systems that will give you a bit more HP than the GYT-R, but in the end you are not talking about a 5 HP difference between the different exhaust systems. When you see someone with those big claims, ask them what other mods they have done to the motor. Some exhaust guys will give you new jet kits or needles with their kits, so make sure you add extra needles and jets to your purchase if they are not included with the kit.

Make the effort, the web is full of people making claims on their exhaust system. Look at what they say and then choose one that suites your pocket and taste. A exhaust that claims the most HP is no guarantee that you will have the fastest bike out there. You might fit all the fastest stuff, but in the end there will always be someone out there that is faster than you and have more money to keep going faster.

Old 02-09-2004, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default yfz450 exhaust

Tee, the only experience I have w/ Fourstroke pipes from FMF is the Titanium4 exhaust. But that pipe was definately a beast! It was a very strong mid-range performer, and builts revs MUCH more quickly than stock. I have heard from others on here that the HMF(on a raptor) has a very smooth powerband without any real spikes, although it was very powerful. Unfortunately I have also heard that the HMF is VERY loud, and Bill Balance found that out the other weekend at the GNCC(he failed the sound test). Since You have a Prarie I imagine you'll be doing alot of Woods riding? If that is the case, and sound is an issue you may want to steer clear of the HMF.

The pipe that seems to be on top of the game right now from a sound standpoint is the Q muffler from FMF. They are the only(that I know of) company that markets, and sells an aftermarket muffler that meets the 96db requirements for public/state lands and still produces an increase in performance. Now granted it won't be as large of a gain as the full "race" exhausts that other companys sell, but you wouldn't want to take a 104db exhaust past your neighbors house at 8am on a saturday morning either.....

And as for the slip-on vs. a full exhaust I have heard that a "full exhaust" will only benefit you if you have done internal motor work. Since a larger header may not work as well for most stock motors.

Old 02-10-2004, 09:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default yfz450 exhaust

does anyone know the price of the gytr slip on pipe? or Sparks?

Old 02-10-2004, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default yfz450 exhaust

Originally posted by: Freez
From what I can gather of the hmf web site is that a full system makes more HP that just adding the slip on. You need to figure out if that extra couple of HP is worth the extra money. Then a friend of mine is running a GYT-R slip on pipe. Its the all aluminium one. The pipe looks very well made and after a while of using it, he has no complaints. What I also like about the pipe is that is has a spark arrestor and is not very load if the RPM is low. So if you ride around slowly, people will not get to upset with the extra noise. Open that puppy up and it gets load, but not that it will get your ears bleeding.

The 450 has some holes in the airbox, installed a Dynojet kit and the GYT-R slip-on. The bike is amazing. Dyno about 45HP. It has incredible throttle response, and when I ride it i want to trade my raptor in for a 450.

I am sure there are other makes of exhaust systems that will give you a bit more HP than the GYT-R, but in the end you are not talking about a 5 HP difference between the different exhaust systems. When you see someone with those big claims, ask them what other mods they have done to the motor. Some exhaust guys will give you new jet kits or needles with their kits, so make sure you add extra needles and jets to your purchase if they are not included with the kit.

Make the effort, the web is full of people making claims on their exhaust system. Look at what they say and then choose one that suites your pocket and taste. A exhaust that claims the most HP is no guarantee that you will have the fastest bike out there. You might fit all the fastest stuff, but in the end there will always be someone out there that is faster than you and have more money to keep going faster.

i just got a gyt-r slip on and the power is night and day. I couldn't afford sparks (#1 choice) becasue in that kit u need the full suystem. Also wit GYT-R u can get the slip on then later u can get the head pipe. If u get the jet kit (i did not and i have no complaints) u get the different jet sizes for both set ups. And what pipes do alot of the non factory team racers use on yfz450's....GYT-R or who ever sponcers em lol

Old 02-10-2004, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default yfz450 exhaust

Originally posted by: yamaracer
does anyone know the price of the gytr slip on pipe? or Sparks?
I thinks it about 300 for the aluminum and 400 for the carbon fiber GYT-R...Sparks complete system is 459.99 I think...

Old 02-10-2004, 10:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yfz450 exhaust

A guy I ice race with here in michigan has a ct on his yfz. He runs very well and beats the 4 other yfz's that are in our circuit. 2 have stock pipes, 1 has gtyr, and the other has an fmf i believe, not quite sure though. He loves it. I have the ct for my raptor and I love it as well, I never lost to any other piped only raptor when my raptor only had the ct. The build quality is excellent, mine has held up great for the last few months through dunes, trails, drags, and ice racing. The guys there are very helpful and they stand behind thier product as well. I had a pin hole exhaust leak and they paid for the part to be returned to them and they gave me a new midsection. Great pipe. The supertrapp disc design also allows you to modify your exhaust for your environment. If you go somewhere with a decible limit, you can quiet it up. Or you can put all 16 discs on for maximum power.

Old 03-01-2004, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default yfz450 exhaust

I bought the E-Series Titanium pipe from White Brothers. No spark arrestor but you can by a drop in one if you need it (they said they make one). It thumps pretty loud, low RPMs aren't too annoying to people around you, but if you rev, it is pretty darn loud...not painful - just loud. K&N and Dynojet stage 2 and I have beaten other 450s with Big Gun, DMC, and some that I am not sure what pipe it was. Not saying it is the best pipe, but it also shaves at least 10 pounds off the bike compared to the stock pipe. Not the cheapest solution, but I have been really happy with it sans a few jetting issues I am having (will be posting a new post regarding that).

I was told by EVERY dealership in SD County that the DMC pipe is the best and they claim 11 HP increase with jetting and air box mods....I don't buy it though...11 HP is a LOT of power. Alba told me the Alba pipe was best, but what did I expect to hear from them? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: yfz450 exhaust