Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HELP!!!!! Changing one way clutch on Rappy

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing clutch parts on Rappy

I think I have two problems, the first is my one way clutch in the starter I think. All the symptoms add up. My mechanic tells me it can be 1 part or 4 parts that can cost me anywhere from $250-$450!! The second problem is my clutch, it slips bad and I don't know typically which parts to buy, Is it a clutch kit that I need? When you guys went through all these problems w/ your Raptor ( and I know your out there) which parts specifically were the problem? I know it can be alot of things I just think I could save some money if I do it myself. I have the Clymer manual and am very scared of tearing into my bike but I think I'm going to give it a try. I could really use some help.

Old 01-30-2004, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

I just thumbed through the Clymer manual for the first time and I am even more terrified. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2004, 07:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yep, I was too when I tore mine apart without the manual, the trick is, there is one bolt on the lower clutch cover has to come out and go back in while in the case. Other than that the clutch lever has to be lined up as well.

Mine was slipping and all I did was take the metal plates out of the clutch basket and bead blasted them on a flat surface and put them back in and it worked. Hasnt failed me yet and has been on for the past 4 months.

Old 01-30-2004, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Help Please !!!!! Changing clutch on Rappy

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to tear it apart and see for sure what the problems are and buy the appropriate parts after I see what's going on. I don't like the looks of this.............[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2004, 09:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out raptortanny.com . If you replace the oneway get the L&A design. You'll need the oneway, cover gasket and it's a good idea to replace the gear the oneway turns on. You can get all the parts in a kit. The hardest part to the job is pulling the flywheel, you'll need a good puller and bolts.
The clutch is not that hard either. Get the GYT-R kit (about $100) and a cover gasket. Soak the fibers over night if you can before you put them in.

Old 01-30-2004, 09:31 PM
Range Rover

The clutch is like everyone said, a piece of cake. All you need is the friction plates and I would suggest a set of Barnett heavy springs. however the stater isn't so easy. I bought the puller for it and broke the center bolt while trying to get it off. all i can say is good luck.

Old 01-31-2004, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

YEA! WHAT HE SAID[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Those guys at RaptorTranny.com are great to work with and very honest too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

I have the perfect flywheel puller that I will LEND you if you are goin to do it your self. Call the guy at RaptorTranny.comclick herewhen you get the parts pm me and I will send you my flywheel puller and when your done you can send it back. I'll do this on the "honor system" don't let me down. You can also call me at 419-553-0200 and I can order all the parts for you as well. I

Old 01-31-2004, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Turbo33
YEA! WHAT HE SAID[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Those guys at RaptorTranny.com are great to work with and very honest too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

I have the perfect flywheel puller that I will LEND you if you are goin to do it your self. Call the guy at RaptorTranny.comclick herewhen you get the parts pm me and I will send you my flywheel puller and when your done you can send it back. I'll do this on the "honor system" don't let me down. You can also call me at 419-553-0200 and I can order all the parts for you as well. I
Thanks dude, I'm going to do this today so I'm going to try to rent a flywheel puller first from Auto Zone or whatever. I won't know what I need until I open her up although I'm pretty sure what it is. I might take you up on your offer though if I need it. I also might call or pm you just for advice or help. Is there any advantage of you ordering the parts like discounts, faster delivery, whatever? Just wonderin, thanks again.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2004, 02:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

At Auto Zone you need to buy a harmonic balancer puller, NOT a fly wheel puller. They cost about $15 and you will also need to get bolts for it too (sorry I can't remember what size).

however the stater isn't so easy. I bought the puller for it and broke the center bolt while trying to get it off.
The center bolt in what??? I hope the puller right....????

Old 01-31-2004, 04:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I was wondering "what center bolt".
Get some blue loctite too.

Quick Reply: HELP!!!!! Changing one way clutch on Rappy