Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hard Starting Banshe and when i do....

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Starting Banshe and when i do....

I do turn off the fuel and let it run out of the carb.

Someone told me to run 24:1 and someone told me to run 32:1. Whats the real amount. i use my friends premix for his banshee so i dont know what it is for sure

Old 02-01-2004, 12:16 PM
Trailblazer

I would say 32:1. That could also cause real havoc when starting, if your jetting is off. Sounds like you have arleady removed the tors and blocked off the oil injection, so jetting is the next step. Also you may want to check you tranny oil level. You could possible have a bad crank seal.

Old 02-01-2004, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

turning the gas off can help prevent a flooded motor I learned that the hard way going to the msf cours eon my mOjave,damn thing flooded out wouldnt start or when it did get bumped started it wouldnt stay running.Turns out it fouled out the air filter an loaded up the motor due to the strong fuel signal, bouncing around on trailer. 2 strokes specially big bore 1s have a very strong fuel signal to the motor,Thats why ya lean em over till fuel runs out of the overflows an its time to kick em.Jetting can be a problem,old gas gas can too ,dont know how old bike is so I would do a compression /leakdown test check for lo compression or air leaks.A shop can do this good compresison is 120=130 psi for stock anything less then that is sketchy.My shee when cold was a brute to start an guy I bought it off of had a bear starting it an I was kinda worried,I bought it rode it 1 thing quit wouldnt run or stay ruinning on left cylinder. Ended up having friend getting it outta there,took his old wheeler w got 3 houses away from his house my wheeler had died an his quit in same spot we wer elaffing about it. I spent bout 300=400 had the bike went over by dealer w fine tooth comb.dealer said compression was 125,carbs were alil dirty it had jet kit an t5s,rode it like 3 times,the 3 time I let a teenager I shouldnt of let ride it .He grenaded it like no 1s ever done,he blew the rod,it blew threw the cases in 2 places an the piston completely disintergrated,went out the pipe it also broke off part of the bottom of the cyilinder port.Dave at east coast said this was abuse over revved an I had 1 of the worse blown up engines hes ever seen.So my bike went from costing me a steal at 4000 grand for a slight built up bike w t5s pro design,4 sets of holeshots mounted on rims an headlight coveras an performance axle.1 I was done w east coast it costed me nearly 7 grand in motor an suspension upgrades,It runs an lifts wheels off ground in almost every gear,i have to run race gas an now its really a gas pig,but it starts w 1-2 kicks an its got 35 duals w twin chokes.If bike hadnt been blown up I was plannin to mod it an Dave had said it woulda been a hell of alot cheaper.Dealer told me to run 32 1 an premium fuel because its almost at the race gas compresison level,good fuel an clean air cleaner,both Dave an Dealer told me take car of bike it will take care of U[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: Yamaharacer
I do turn off the fuel and let it run out of the carb.

Carefull with this you are causeing you bike to run in a serious lean condition when doing this. I wouldn't do it.

Old 02-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

It sounds to me as you have a broken joint or a bad crankcase seal. But its most likely that the hose that connects between the two carbs has sliped of in one end. This happend to me and it was real hard to my banshee and it ran like crap.

Old 02-02-2004, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer

that problem is usually caused by the spark plugs or water in your gas

Old 02-02-2004, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

I wasnt refering to running the bike out of gas. All I meant was turn the gas off when you stopping riding the bike, i.e. shut the bike down. In other words, turn the engine off, then turn the gas off.

Old 02-02-2004, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Do you think maby you flooded it? b/c after the like 5-8th kick and u pump the throtle and it still hasnt started, i think i might be flooded and then when u bump start it it starts but is still kinda flooded but then when u burn some of the gas it gets better then runs normal. well im not an expert so i dono dont listen to me.

pft 2 strokes suck dont they? lol j/k!!!!!! (im a big 2 stoke fan so lets not fight)

Old 02-03-2004, 06:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Its hard to say without hearing the bike. When you start it do both cylinders (look at the pipes) smoke equally, or does one smoke and the other doesnt. Or do one smoke excessively more then the other?

Old 02-03-2004, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider

good point, one side might be running rich. make sure the carbs r both equal

Quick Reply: Hard Starting Banshe and when i do....