Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hard Starting Banshe and when i do....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Starting Banshe and when i do....

I have a 2002 bone stock banshee. Its always hard to start and sometimes i have to bump start it. And when i do get it started it boggs down where you van barley go and a TON of smoke is comming out the pipes after about 30sec to a min it stops and is completly fine. What could this be?

Old 01-31-2004, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

Im having the same problem with my 97' shee, it doesnt want to rev over an idle? Im pretty sure its the cdi, ive heard of this happening to my friends warrior and he had to replace the cdi. I wouldnt swear that is the problem, but when i took it to the mechanic, they put a thing on the spark plug wires that showed the spark and it was all distorted.

Old 01-31-2004, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

OK - here is how I start my Banshee.

Choke on
First 3 or 4 kicks - give it a little gas when you kick it
after the first 3 or 4 kicks - NO GAS!!
My Shee will start within 8 kicks even when it's butt-cold if I do this every time.

As soon as it starts and starts to bog.....I adjust the choke halfway - rev it once or twice and turn the choke all the way off......rev it up...just keep blipping it every couple of seconds....or rev it a little bit....it will smoke like a chimney as long as it's cold....this is normal. After a bit of warming up, you will be able to tell by the lack of smoke and how crisp your engine sounds when you blip the throttle that it's ready to go.........don't let it just idle for more than a couple of seconds....you will foul the plugs. Banshees shouldn't be idled much.

My Banshee is an awesome quad - very reliable....but I had trouble starting it until I was taught to do this......

Try it! You don't need the choke on very long....

Old 01-31-2004, 04:44 PM
Range Rover

my neighbors blaster sounds like it had the same problem. we would have to bump start it and unload it by revving it a lot. by the time it was unloaded it would run like a champ. we finally took it to the dealership. they said it was running too rich so they fixed and gave it back. now it runs right!

Old 01-31-2004, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

I think were talkin about a different problem, when my banshee starts, it WILL NOT rev over an idle no matter how long it sits, im getting tired of that thing, seems like everytime i turn around something else breaks on it....

Old 01-31-2004, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

TORS... remove it. Try wiggling the emergerncy break on the clutch perch. Starting procedure: Get on it and shake it side to side for about 20 sec to mix oil and gas. Some pre mix seperate after just 20 min of sitting this causes the oil to sit at the bottom of the tank. Ok 3 prime kicks. Do these slow to get some oil on the cylinder wall. Then one one to to kicks and it runs. Don't hit the gas at all will flood easily.
Vito's sells the kit for like 60 bucks.

Old 01-31-2004, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah.....my TORS is gone. I have the Toomey throttle cables........I never even messed with that thing. Also - check your intakes.....I had a huge crack in one and it ran like crap - like it was running on one cylinder.....the boost bottle I was running was cracking my intakes....it's coming off tomorrow morning. As long as it runs good once it's going - I'm sure it's something relatively inexpensive to fix! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2004, 03:14 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Yamaharacer
I have a 2002 bone stock banshee. Its always hard to start and sometimes i have to bump start it. And when i do get it started it boggs down where you van barley go and a TON of smoke is comming out the pipes after about 30sec to a min it stops and is completly fine. What could this be?
ok it is a o2 and now its o4 perhaps you need to do a top end job dont you think? checked your compresion and when checking does it go up the more you kick it? say from 1st kick and then 30 th kick?? what does your plugs look like?? did you make any changes at all or did this happen overnight?

Old 02-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

I would start w the simple stuff 1st,air cleaner clean,put a set of new plugs in SHess are notorious for them fouling out plugs.Run 32:1 an good fuel.The Next step an I think this is probably ya problem is Unhook The TORS,its yamahas fendangled idea if the throttle sticks open it cuts the ignition,little did they tell u is when this unit on carb craps out it really botches up the whole works,unplug it or bypass it somehow an if it fixes it go to aftermarket get a regular carb kit w slide etc,Blaster his this same dilemna.Proud to be a SHee owner .

2000 SHEE hotRodded by east coast ATV,this thing rips in every gear its insane.

Old 02-01-2004, 11:44 AM
Trailblazer

Here is another problem with 2 strokes and it may or may not apply to any of above problems. When you shut the bike down, turn the fuel off. For some reason fuel will build up in the crankcase making it very hard to start, and once it does, it takes a few minutes to clear out all the extra fuel. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Hard Starting Banshe and when i do....