Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rebuilt raptor, cant get oil to flow from tank?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 05:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt raptor, cant get oil to flow from tank?

I just had my Raptor reuilt to a 686, I'm trying to fill it with oil, I put 1.5qt. of oil in the res. and it started to over flow. I check everything I pulled the drain plug, no oil in motor. So I tipped it up on it's side and put 1.5qt in the drain plug, drained a little out of the tank. I was then going to start her up when I noticed oil coming out of the seal where the sprocket goes, I didn't put the sprocket on, I didn't no that it had to be on and tight to keep the oil in. Now I'm drinking beer and waiting for F-ball, but what could the problems be and will it be ok to put oil in the drain plug and start it up? I did crank the motor 4-5 times thinking that would help.

Thank you

Old 02-01-2004, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt raptor, cant get oil to flow from tank?

oil might come out of the sprocket seal if the sprocket isnt on. The bushing behind the sprocket has cuts in it to meter oil to the drive axle. The oil pressure can push the bushing out a little if the sprocket isnt on.

i believe there is a screen in the bottom of the oil rez that can get a little clogged. I havent cleaned mine yet but read on here that there is one, I also hear that if you mess with the oil tank too much they can crack

Anyhow, the oil wont really go from the tank to the motor without the motor running until its syphoned. The rubber line on top of the tank uses the crankcase pressure to pressurize and get the tank oil to the motor. When changing my oil, fill the tank with one qt, run the motor about 15 seconds and then put in another qt then adjust the level with the dip stick after running another few minutes.