Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 350 vs Warrior

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 06:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 350 vs Warrior

Originally posted by: jed250
.I'm not refering to any new technology. All I said is that the plastics are more aerodynamic which will lower wind resistance.
Ahhh .. but you did

Originally posted by: jed250

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: Carmelo15
i think we all know the answer to that one. the 350 is a faster version of the warrior so what do you expect..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know it's faster. It's lighter, newer technology so there probably is less power loss from the motor to the wheels and there could be even more factors. How is the reverse set up? Is it like the Raptor's or the Warrior's?
The drive trains are the same on both machines. Same engine, tranny, chain. Where there will be less loss is with the 20" vs. 22" tires and the reduced machine weight.

Old 02-25-2004, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

Don't bet on Honda to stop selling the 400ex. After all, look at the 300ex. As long as they continue to sell, they will keep them on the showroom. It is very inexpensive for them to build them since the tooling was paid for years ago. No more research and development is necessary and they have a good reputation. The 400ex's biggest fault is the lack of reverse.

Until the 400ex came out in 1999, the Warrior and the 300ex were direct competitors. Both were very popular trail machines, but not race quads. Now the Warrior has been updated, and it should further stand out against the aged 300ex. The 400ex is almost in a class by itself: race capable with alot of money, but with the new 450s on the market, it is no longer the racer's choice. With no reverse, it is not the trail rider's choice. So who will buy it? Many will opt for the Raptor 350 over the 400ex simply because it looks better and has reverse.

In my opinion, Honda could keep the 400ex alive by adding reverse, but I wouldn't bet on them investing the money to do it. They also need a 650 to compete with the Raptor and DS650 (which is nice but also misses lots of sales because of no reverse). Yamaha is kicking Honda's tail in the sport ATV market, and Suzuki plain wiped Honda out with the introduction of the Z400.

Old 02-25-2004, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: pairof98s
Don't bet on Honda to stop selling the 400ex. After all, look at the 300ex. As long as they continue to sell, they will keep them on the showroom. It is very inexpensive for them to build them since the tooling was paid for years ago. No more research and development is necessary and they have a good reputation. The 400ex's biggest fault is the lack of reverse.

Until the 400ex came out in 1999, the Warrior and the 300ex were direct competitors. Both were very popular trail machines, but not race quads. Now the Warrior has been updated, and it should further stand out against the aged 300ex. The 400ex is almost in a class by itself: race capable with alot of money, but with the new 450s on the market, it is no longer the racer's choice. With no reverse, it is not the trail rider's choice. So who will buy it? Many will opt for the Raptor 350 over the 400ex simply because it looks better and has reverse.

In my opinion, Honda could keep the 400ex alive by adding reverse, but I wouldn't bet on them investing the money to do it. They also need a 650 to compete with the Raptor and DS650 (which is nice but also misses lots of sales because of no reverse). Yamaha is kicking Honda's tail in the sport ATV market, and Suzuki plain wiped Honda out with the introduction of the Z400.

Things like this happen in every industry I suppose. Honda better get in gear (heh..) and do something about their competition. If I had enough money to buy a brand new quad, I'd take the Z400 over the 400ex anyday simply because it's got a little more power and reverse and is about the same weight.

This can relate to the video gaming industry. Nintendo owned a huuuge chunk of the market a few years ago, but after Sony entered into the market with their Playstation, they really took a piece of that market share. Nintendo pretty much just said "we know what people want" which they really didn't, but they continued on with their "innovative" ideas and they just kept losing to Sony and now Microsoft. What people want nowadays is ONLINE PLAY but Nintendo figures that people don't want that while Sony and Microsoft are working hard at creating online worlds for their games. I chose the PS2 over the Gamecube because I knew the games would be cheaper and there'd be a nice selection of them. I was right. The only thing that's really keeping Nintendo around is the handheld market, which Nintendo owns about 99% of it.

Maybe people want a 400ex with Reverse...give the people what they want Honda!