Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Opinions, please

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions, please

Actually, I did get a price on a new '03 650 prarie @ $6200 (cash) out the door, but after I went to thier forum here, & it looked like they have a problem keeping belts on them. Plus, I'm not sure about not having a locking diff. Then I got a price of $4850 plus tax, prep, ect. for the kodiak 450.

Old 02-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Opinions, please

Sounda good on the Kodiak, good luck trailblazerguy250

Old 02-07-2004, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default Opinions, please

Wow, a guy asks for info on 2 specific quads and is told to consider a Grizzly, Prairie, Honda, and the Rhino too.
I don't know anything about the Kodiak but my neighbor had a Sportsman 500 and didn't really care for it. He has a 700 Polaris now and is thinking about getting rid of it for something else, no real problems that he's mentioned to me, he is just looking for something different now I guess.
As for the Grizzly having less problems, my Bro-in-law has to take his (660) in because the front wheel drive keeps kicking out and it feels as though something is broken in BOTH front hubs. He has an extended warranty so it's not a problem to him, but I've heard of the same problem with another one locally. So they're not bulletproof. It might handle well for a 600+ lb. quad, but it's sure not "sporty" or "light handling" unless you're comparing it to other 600 lb. machines.
I've ridden the Grizzly and the Polaris 700 and I bought a Wolverine. Why some people want to deal with the extra 100 - 150 pounds (more or less depending on what you're comparing it too) is their choice.
You need to find what's the best for YOU, what others like you may not. What they dislike you may think is the greatest thing going. If you decide on a Kodiak instead of the Grizzly you'll also be happy with the $1,000 you'll keep in your pocket too.
Anyways, keep checking for the info you're looking for, try to ride as many different quads as you can, and you might find a quad you weren't even considering to be the best for you, only you will know for sure though.
Have a good one and good luck in your search!

Old 02-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Opinions, please

I forgot all about the worlverine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] You might want to look into that to

Old 02-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Opinions, please

Originally posted by: TrailBlazerguy250
I forgot all about the worlverine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] You might want to look into that to
Shhhhh....don't tell everyone.....I'm having fun walking away from all the big utility 4x4's through the tight woods sections and fallen trees we've got around here. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-07-2004, 11:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Opinions, please

O jezz looks like I forgot to be quit about that , I swear Iam losing it lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-07-2004, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Opinions, please

Is the extended warranty necessary? Or will the bugs (if any) be worked out by the time the regular one runs out?

Old 02-08-2004, 03:49 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default Opinions, please

Originally posted by: vbar
Is the extended warranty necessary? Or will the bugs (if any) be worked out by the time the regular one runs out?

the bikes you refer to have been out for some time and have been refined quite a bit,,,,to the point that they are very reliable

if you are the mechanical, do your own maintenance type,,,,than it may be a waste of money

if you are a worry wort,,that has a hard time checking the oil,,than maybe you should consider the warranty

insurance is a more realistic expense imo

Old 02-09-2004, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default Opinions, please

The truth is, you will get different input and advice from each forum. since about 7-out-of-10 riders are bis to what they ride. i own a 1998 Sportsman 500. its the first-year model. no mechanical problems at all still tot his day, but i have had electrical problems with the 4x4 switch. something that was fixed when they made the H.O. so no polaris is not nearly as bad as thse bias people make them out to be. but they are heavy. and the "snow mobile on wheels" term..lol thats funny. but they pull alot more than there tow ratings.

at the same time the griz 660 and prarie 650 are awesome as well, lighter and more eporty machines. also newer.tho not as rugged or smooth. and dont call me bias because i am currently looking at buying a griz, and i almost baught a P-650 once. they are all good in different ways. but i just dont like a single-shock swingarm on a Utility atv.

so yes the grizzly is awesome, and yes the sportsman is better than "they" say. i know this because i own one.

Old 02-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Opinions, please

Hey VBAR, so what is the final price for the quad adding everything in? I got mine for 5700 out the door then I added stuff to it driving the price up to 6700. I did not get the extended warranty as the bikes do hold up if you take care and do the maintence on them when it is scheduled rather then waiting till something breaks then remebering to change the oil. Get the factory repair manual or the one from Clymer when it comes out and you will be able to do most anything on it for repairs if you are mechanicly inclined. I chose not to buy the extended because of the 580 dollar price tag. I do my own wrenching and it comes in handy when you are 100 miles from the dealer and the warranty and can not figure out how to get it back to trailhead if you do not know how it works. When you see the bad in here on the quads you have take into consideration of all the quads that have had no problems and they outweigh what you see. Every manufacture builds a good quad a if you take care of them they will last you and carry you home everytime. Do the maintence on them and enjoy the years of enjoyment they will provide.
It amazes me when a person asks between two quads that people will chime in with another different one, if they wanted to know about all the quads the person asking would of said he wanted that info. It is hard trying to get actual info when people add another quad to the mix. Former Michigan boy. AlaskaBoy.

Quick Reply: Opinions, please