Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need Help With Banshee Decision

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Banshee Decision

I run the trinity 2 into 1 carb setup, with LRD adjustable pipes.

I'm probably gonna use an aftermaket cylinder head, with 19 cc domes this year.

Old 02-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Range Rover

>I was thinking about +3 up 1 and he said that he only runs up 1 in the desert, he is about the same
>weight as myself 'around 215lbs., and with that much body-weight there is no need to go 1" forward
>nor shorten the swingarm... He also stated that the +3 causes the Shee to 'push' through the corners

Not to knock your engine builder, but what he said is counter-intuitive. Ask any SUSPENSION builder and they will tell you that wider up front increases oversteer. "Pushing through corners" is understeer, and would decrease by widening the front, not increase. I do agree though that if you weigh 200+lbs, then the weight of the rider, which is positioned behind the centerline of the quad, will help offset the natural forward weight bias of the Banshee, making it more balanced without having to shorten swingarms, etc.

Old 02-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider

Well you wont beat the customerservice you get with Toomey. They are hands down great to deal with. I run T5's and all I do is trail ride, cross country race, and a little dune action twice a year. Love the pipes, with a few other mods you can have the best of both worlds. Top and bottom end. If I can consistently beat 686's in the sand I dont think ive sacrificed much top end, and pull off the line is great.

Single carb setup is one of the best mods ive done besides pipes and port work. Others will tell you different, but opinions are like butt cracks everyone has one. So you'll have to figure out what works best for you. The single carb works great for me, and unless I was drag racing all the time I wouldn't go back to dual carbs. Carb tuning is much faster also. Of the 6 people we ride with that have changed to the single all 6 love it.

Mill the head or buy some sort of coolhead and bump up the compression and the bottom end will also be better. Toomeys are just my personal choice, we all run the same carb but me and my dad are the only ones running T5's. Other are using Pro Circuits, Paul Turners, and FMF's.

Most of us are geared at 13 frt and 41 rr. The banshee is definitely lack luster in stock form. Especially after riding mine for so long, I couldnt believe how slow and the lack of bottom end a stocker feels. Any set of pipes will be an improvement. A single carb is great for some extra bottom end, although you might lose some top although it be minimal. The last dyno on my dads bike read 54 hp with T5's, single carb, mild port, 20 cc domes in the coolhead running about 135-140 lbs of compression on 93 octane, stock bore, and boyesen pro series reeds. Did not get to dyno mine and it should be a little higher than that.

Old 02-11-2004, 12:51 PM
Trailblazer

For trail riding a Banshee, I would do the following:

1. FMF Gnarly pipes (or perhaps Fatties) (Gnarly for bottom/mid; Fatties for mid/top)
(My personal take on pipes: Gnarly for bottom/mid; Fatty's for all-around with good mid/top; T5's seem to hit harder than Fatty pipes and are more of a top-end pipe; Pro-Circuit Platinum series for all-around with good mid/top; CPI inframes for strong mid/top)
We run FMF Fatty pipes on my son's and CPI inframes on mine. I personally prefer the Fatty's for all-around.
2. K&N Filter with an adaptor
3. Jet kit
4. Noss Head or Cool Head with 20cc domes or smaller (we've run 20cc domes with stock porting on pump 93; 19cc domes on ported motors on pump 93 with good results - this with only 4 degrees timing advance. If you want a bit more torque, go with smaller domes. I personally like 18cc domes on ported motors).
5. Adjustable timing plate (RickyStator.com for $35) - about +4 for pump gas, +6 or so for race fuel.
6. A good reed setup. I prefer the V-Force, which I run on my quad. We run our own high-tension setup with carbon reeds with ported stock cages on my son's Banshee.

While a single carb is less hassle than a two carb setup with regards to jetting, I still prefer the two carb setup. I've ridden a Banshee with the single carb system and it's nice. Don't think it's any better than stockers as far as power delivery goes. Lots of money for a little bit of a gain on bottom/mid and a slight loss in power on top with the single carb.

Regards,

buttermilk385

Old 02-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

Jennifer
I sent you a PM on the single carb... Just a few question.

Old 02-11-2004, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

i would get a degree key and a new stator plate like iam going to do