Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Raptor 350 engine!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Raptor 350 engine!

yes a 400cc would be perfect for the warrior...uhm...i mean the Raptor350. but it's not and yamaha did make an effort to better a bullet proof excellent entry level quad. we've got a 350 piped, jetted, and widened up and we have had a blast on it. it hangs with a any stock 400ex and i've often said i'd take this quad anywhere...if i had to go deep woods....i'd take the warrior. cause i know it's gonna bring me back and probably tow my buddies back.

nope...i'll reserve judgement. i'm sure they were attempting to keep cost down...new engine, means new price tag. price and reliability has made the warrior a success. if they polled me....on making changes but i had to keep the engine. i most likely would have followed their path.

i did notice a diffrent pipe and it looks like its got the sweet e-brake thats on my YFZ as well...the guy who designed that should get an F'n lifetime achievment award. diffrent carb....hell! the tires alone will allow it to handle as well as any 300ex. don't under estimate how bad the warrior stockers really were. simply put...The worst.

the stock bumper looks cool and diffrent. as far as the reverse. once you know how to use the warriors...it works every time. as far as the name change. i agree.... cheeeezzzzy. since the powerplant is the same. out of respect for the long service the warrior has provided. it deserved the honor of keeping its name and get a face lift before they eventually retire it. that said Mrs Kuz28 was very unhappy and has chosen to address this matter has here very first post (below).

"what is up with the new "Raptor 350" AKA the Warrior with Raptor plastics?? I am perplexed...why not call this the new Warrior S Series or something indicating certain weak points had been updated...I think Yamaha needs to keep their product lines/names streamlined...are bike names defined by their plastics????"

Mrs Kuz28

See what i mean...i cant get her to take interest in our tricked out Raptor or the new YFZ we just got. i could'nt believe how she snapped to life when i showed her the R350. strange. She's pretty upset.

Old 02-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigBubba
It costs alot of money to design a whole new quad with a new engine. Redesigning around the warrior platform was prolly more cost effective and still creates a quad to compete in the sport market with the 300ex. These improvements alone moved the warrior out of obsolete status which is all it needed to compete better.
they should've kept calling it the warrior and slapped some new plastic, suspension, and brakes on it...that is if they just HAD to keep the engine.

Old 02-12-2004, 04:24 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: NLWarrior01
Originally posted by: hondarider86
Originally posted by: rede34m5
Originally posted by: FaStLaNe
But its 5 grand!! Way too much IMO to compete with the 300ex. But, why keep the Warrior in the lineup? That doesn't make much sense.....
compete with the 300ex you mean the 400ex. the 300ex can't run with a warrior.
A 300ex can keep up/beat a warrior without much trouble.
Uhh...no. It takes some good mods for a 300 to beat a warrior! Keep up, yes but beat...no. Warriors put out more hp and more torque...especially with a 2 valve head which makes more torque than a 4. The 300 is VERY mild stock too and doesn't gain much from mods. This new 350 is gonna absolutly smoke the 300 in all aspects though...Honda better improve their lineup soon cause it looks like yamaha is kickin their butt.
OH NO!!! Not another "this quad which isn't even being ridden by anyone yet is going to smoke this quad ... "[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
I'm speaking from logic dumba$$! Most people and most reviews f the bikes perfer the warrior over the 300ex for many reasons...power, stability, size, overall comfort, reliability, and etc. If the Warrior is perfered by most how it is already then improvements to chassis, suspension, power, and comfort is gonna make it top the 300ex even more! Think about it! It CAN'T be worse than the original Warrior.

I do agree with the fact that they should of kept the raptor name out, its kinda cheezy and unoriginal, but I bet it will make it sell more.
logic? i have ridden both machines stock and my friend has a bored out warrior..but thats beside the point. I know the 300ex can handle better because ti handles better because it isnt heavy it is wider so its more stable and while it may not have the low end grunt it has high revs. and gets through its powerband at a better pace. I would like you to go and find a atv magazine that rates teh warriorBETTER than a 300ex ..when that happens i will shut up.

Old 02-12-2004, 04:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

300ex handles better, warrior faster. both stock. Now no more page long quotes.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-12-2004, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: hondarider86

logic? i have ridden both machines stock and my friend has a bored out warrior..but thats beside the point. I know the 300ex can handle better because ti handles better because it isnt heavy it is wider so its more stable and while it may not have the low end grunt it has high revs. and gets through its powerband at a better pace. I would like you to go and find a atv magazine that rates teh warriorBETTER than a 300ex ..when that happens i will shut up.

Oh i just read your name....now I see it....welcome...

keep thinking the 300 is better....and as far as atv magazines are concernced, whoever pays the most to advertise will win the most....thats how those work....and thats all I ever see is honda ads.

Old 02-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

I was hoping you'd say that. DW did a shoot-out several issues back and gave it to the warrior. i'm at work now....but i'll post the issue later. get ready to eat crow. ..and you might want to save some of that whine to wash it down.