Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Good by to 2-strokes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good by to 2-strokes?

Your right, those kawis were fast. Honda's main reason for quitting r production was the hit they took on the 3 wheelers, they didnt want it to happen again. Same thing with the zilla, liability. They all quit producing the 250's about the same time. No one has one, so why make one right? Yamaha's banshee was never in the same game. It was fast, but the other bikes were race machines, the shee was built for dunes and straightline speed, much like the zilla. Why they continued to make shee's, who knows. But I think everyone is glad they did, along with the blaster. Polaris is the only other company who continued to make 2 strokers throughout the last decade. The reason they are done for now is divided up. Part of it is the emissions requirements, part is the money the companies all already have into 4 stroke research and design. Specialty bikes can be ordered from w-tec, vlias or something, gas gas, and a few other companies, mostly in europe. Oddly enough, where they have tougher emissions restrictions in many places than we do here.

Long story short, unless 4 stroke sales die, we wont be seeing a mass comeback. I wouldnt even bet my money on keeping the ones we have. I think polaris dropped one of its 2 stroke quads this year.