Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Dealer Unaware of Grizz Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 10:15 PM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Unaware of Grizz Recall

The CPSC isn't going to have this on their site because it's not a recall, but a product update.

The kits are now on backorder for who knows how long. I have had a couple dealers call me wanting some of mine, but I got enough for our guys and those will be the only ones getting these kits.

Old 02-21-2004, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

ever since the grizzly came out the owners have complained about overheating and vapor lock. most or all of these problems have been rectified by the owners themselves, and even though yamaha denied it was a problem they implemented most of the changes to the newer models. the grizzly has been a sucessfull model due to the efforts of the people who bought them. and years after the fact, there is a recall that yamaha is not prepared for.

Old 02-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

roscoe, well put, well stated!!! like you were reading my mind!!!

Old 02-21-2004, 04:46 PM
Trailblazer

I had a friend check it out at a dealership for me. I have not had any problems with mine, but I thought if it were all free, what the hay! They showed him the letter they had gotten from Yamaha, and it said that it was ONLY for thoughs with problems, and it WASN'T FREE! I have not spoken to them myself, but I know I can take his word for it. I have never herd of a recall that wasn't free??? But maybe you have to put a formal complaint in to Yamaha first? Happy trails!

Old 02-21-2004, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer

When I got my letter, I called my dealer. He said the kits are on backorder to keep checking back each week, when they get them bring it in and service will do the rest no questions and it would take about 30 mins to an hour.

Old 02-21-2004, 07:50 PM
The Facility

Babycakes,

It's not a recall.

Old 02-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: KNOWSALOT
Babycakes,

It's not a recall.
KnowsAlot, let me ask you a question bro!! Just curious about something! A friend of mine took his YZ250F to a dealer to find out what was wrong with it!! They tore it apart and ended up telling him he needed a pretty much a COMPLETE rebuild of his engine for a price tag of $2600.00!!!!!!!!!! They told him EVERYTHING was messed up because he hadnt changed his oil in his bike enough, and that he needed to replace all of those STOCK parts in order for it to work! HOWEVER, he took his bike to a performance shop I had told him about that you can see in all of the MX magazines in the back! Anyway, he sent his bike to them, heres what he had done frome them: Wiseco 13:1 piston, bored to a 262cc with a cast iron sleeve and port job! Thats all he ACTUALLY needed to have done! The guy even rebuilt his rear shock for FREE! That dealership wanted 400 to do the shock, that shop only wants $130.00 All for only $600.00! My question is this.........why did that dealer intentionally try and rip him off???? After he had all that work done, he went to the dealer on his way home from picking his bike up, showed them the receipt from the shop he sent it to, and cranked it for them and everything. You know what they did??? Turn their MONEY HUNGRY backs to him and walked away claiming they were really busy and there wasnt a SINGLE customer in the building! I have since turned everyone I have EVER talked to away from them! I'll see them at the tracks and when people are talking to them, I make it a point to walk up to them and tell them and show them his receipt of what he needed from them and the receipt of what he "REALLY" needed from the other place! I've even had several times where it nearly resulted in a fight with the owner of that dealership!!

Old 02-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TellicoGrizz660
Originally posted by: KNOWSALOT
Babycakes,

It's not a recall.
KnowsAlot, let me ask you a question bro!! Just curious about something! A friend of mine took his YZ250F to a dealer to find out what was wrong with it!! They tore it apart and ended up telling him he needed a pretty much a COMPLETE rebuild of his engine for a price tag of $2600.00!!!!!!!!!! They told him EVERYTHING was messed up because he hadnt changed his oil in his bike enough, and that he needed to replace all of those STOCK parts in order for it to work! HOWEVER, he took his bike to a performance shop I had told him about that you can see in all of the MX magazines in the back! Anyway, he sent his bike to them, heres what he had done frome them: Wiseco 13:1 piston, bored to a 262cc with a cast iron sleeve and port job! Thats all he ACTUALLY needed to have done! The guy even rebuilt his rear shock for FREE! Afterwards the owners of the shop came to the track we ride at to dial in his suspension from and rear for FREE!!! That dealership wanted 400 to do the shock, that shop only wants $130.00 All for only $600.00! My question is this.........why did that dealer intentionally try and rip him off???? After he had all that work done, he went to the dealer on his way home from picking his bike up, showed them the receipt from the shop he sent it to, and cranked it for them and everything. You know what they did??? Turn their MONEY HUNGRY backs to him and walked away claiming they were really busy and there wasnt a SINGLE customer in the building! I have since turned everyone I have EVER talked to away from them! I'll see them at the tracks and when people are talking to them, I make it a point to walk up to them and tell them and show them his receipt of what he needed from them and the receipt of what he "REALLY" needed from the other place! I've even had several times where it nearly resulted in a fight with the owner of that dealership!!

Old 02-21-2004, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

I know that I started the dealer bashing, but I know that most dealers are not in the business to rip off their customers. There will always be thieves amongst the honest in the service industry but it is not right to lump them in the same group. My logic is why pay for any work that I can do myself, why pay a dealer money to do an oil change? Dealers, like any other professional service can cost money, sometimes, alot of money. Other times, it is the best option to take your machine for a qualified, professional repair. I am a professional, and if people do not want to pay for my educated, expert diagnosis/ repair that is their right. No hard feelings, I respect my customers decision. For the people that need my services and can afford my reasonable prices I am a godsend. The work is finished in a professional manor with professional results. I do not ever do work for free , nor should a dealership. We pay to play and Grizzlys cost bucks. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thank you KNOWSALOT for your time and free professional information.

Old 02-21-2004, 11:55 PM
The Facility

Telico,

I have heard of this being done by many dealers from many different customers, and I can't say with certainity that it hasn't been cone at ours as well, but I can tell you if it was done at ours, it wasn't intentional. I will tell you taht a common practice among ALL dealers is that their repair estimates are 1.25 times the book rate. This goes for the auto industry as well in most cases. This to cover any unforseen part replacement or extra labor that they didn't see having to do the first time around........

As for the high ammount of your buddy's estimate, sometimes dealers and independant shop alike over-do it on exactly what need replaced to ensure that everything will be 100% fresh and a chance of another breakdown is unlikely.

An example would be a transmission failure. Lets say that 3rd gear went out. Only the 3rd gear on the main shaft was bad, but the dealer is most likely going to replace every gear and both shafts so that he will feel comfortable warrantying the work.

BUT....with the attitude of this partiular dealer you describe.....it doesn't sound like any of the above apply to him. If his estimate was high for a good reason, I would think the dealer would be saying why.

By the way, what region of Alabama are you located? North?South?West?East? I race out there from time to time.

Vakero,
Thanks for the comments. My pleasure. Hope you get your Grizz update taken care of.

Quick Reply: Dealer Unaware of Grizz Recall