Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Checkin out the Rappys saturday

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checkin out the Rappys saturday

my dad's finally convinced that he needs a rappy to have any fun with me in the dunes (his slowlaris 325 isnt quite the speed demon my shee is) So, we're going down to the yami shop either this saturday or next saturday. hopefully those guys will give us a good deal, we've bought 4 bikes from them, 2 of them within the last year. anyway, although they might have sold a few rappys in the last few weeks, last i knew they had a black LE '03 and a blue '03 as well as a white and red '04, a black and... yellow '04 LE, and a couple blue '04's. i know there have been some problems with rappys, the 01's with the tranny problems and possibly frame or axle problems, i cant remember for sure, and the 02's with electric starter problems, and im not sure if the '03's had any problems, so i was curious whether you would reccomend an '03 to save a little cash, or if they have any problems so he should just go with '04.

also, i was wondering whether his rappy will be able to keep up with the shee in the dunes and drag races. also, what are the best paddle tires for shee's and rappy's? he has had a lot of time riding, but very little on sport quads. he used to race amateur and semi-pro mx, back in the 70's and 80's. he has only had quads for about 7 years. we got a yamaha badger 80 when i was about 8 or 9, and he got a honda atc 185 (both from the same dealership we got the banshee and blaster from). we still have the atc, although it is sitting in the corner of the garage doing nothing. anyway, we sold the badger and then got me a honda recon 250 and he got a polaris magnum 325 and he's had that ever since, while i've gone through a few bikes as many of you know.

anyway, thats my story, and id also like to ask if the yoshimura pipes are the best for the rappy, and if they comply with oregon's 93 db limit? also, about my shee, i was wondering if i should go with toomey T5's with a hush kit, or with T6's, from what ive heard, the T5's are more for modded bikes, and the T6's are for stock, but the T5's are the only ones that can use the hush kit, and im pretty sure id need that around here, and does the hush kit rob a lot of power? and what kind of HP numbers could i expect for the rappy and banshee with the yosh and toomey pipes? thanks everybody!

Old 02-13-2004, 05:45 PM
Range Rover

get the new 450, so ya can let me know how it is! Your not going to save that much just for the year diff, like $100-200. What kind of riding? Drag=CPI, OVERALL= T-5"my opinion" as for the hush kit, its ugly, dont know about performance tho. My old man has an 03 raptor with gytr exhaust and it seems able to get the job done. He can keep up with my shee when I'm putting aroung, but not when I jump the throttle. he doesn't like hallin' *** that fast!

Old 02-13-2004, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

If it was going to be my (second) bike, i would go for the yfz too, but its for my dad, and he only wants it so he can keep up with me and he wants the broad powerband and softer suspension (he's more of a dune cruiser). plus, theres no real point in spending the extra 600-800 bucks if its not going to be exactly what he wants it to be. sure, if he was still mxing, the yfz is the way to go, but for dune cruising he really doesnt need one. and i dont care if the hush kit is "ugly" if its going to save me a few hundred bucks in tickets because my bike is too loud without it, ill get one.

Old 02-13-2004, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

Tell your dad to look into the DS650 also. If he is just riden the dunes, he won't have to worry about the lack of reverse.

Old 02-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the suggestions, but we've already decided on a rappy, its a good bike, its fast, itll keep up with me, and he's a yamaha guy so he's a little reluctant to go with another company. not to mention that if something goes wrong on a ds, theres a very slim chance there will be a bomby dealer nearby if we're out in the dunes. whereas with yami's, there are dealerships everywhere. plus he will be riding primarily in dunes, but there will also be some trail riding that the ds would be a little too wide to do.

Old 02-13-2004, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

if you want a no problem smooth riding quad with great suspension get a DS650!!! T

Old 02-13-2004, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

You call the raptor not a good cruising bike too? Its such a good bike cause its a torque monster, fast as hell, and easy on the rider at the same time. YFZ revs great, but I hate that bike, my friend just sold his for an 04 LE. Such a workout the YFZ is, some people love it, I know that, and I dont have one problem about it, but I do not enjoy that bike at all. Get the Raptor, youll dad will love it. And have some fun with the shee bro [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2004, 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would buy a new Raptor I don't think you will save that much on a used one. You can pick them up now for around $5400.oo before tax. They are a great quad. I had a 2001 and so did my buddy and we never had any problems with the transmissions or anything else for that matter. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Old 02-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 03shee
get the new 450, so ya can let me know how it is! Your not going to save that much just for the year diff, like $100-200. What kind of riding? Drag=CPI, OVERALL= T-5"my opinion" as for the hush kit, its ugly, dont know about performance tho. My old man has an 03 raptor with gytr exhaust and it seems able to get the job done. He can keep up with my shee when I'm putting aroung, but not when I jump the throttle. he doesn't like hallin' *** that fast!
Your old man has a Rappy and doesnt like haulin ***? **** thats what there for [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2004, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer

Go with the 04 LE. I have the Yoshi pipes and like them alot good increase in power and not very loud.

A buddy put the T6's on his shee and is not happy with them wants to get the CPI's or T5's. Alot of the guys/gals I ride with have shee's with aftermarket exhust and don't have hush kits and have never been harassed about being to loud. We ride mainly in oregon.

Quick Reply: Checkin out the Rappys saturday