Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

All Yamaha and Wolverine owners out there!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 08:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Yamaha and Wolverine owners out there!

My 2001 Wolverine had very loose valve adjustments right out of the box. I adjusted them after a short break-in period and it's been fine since. That mixture screw is a bit of a bear. Real stubby screwdriver is necessary. I finally bought a set with the stubby and a very small gear ratchet which slides over the screwdriver shaft.

Old 02-17-2004, 10:05 AM
Pro Rider

the noisy valve train your guys are talking about, what does it sound like? mine seems to sound like it a nocking noise almost, when its first started. at idle

Old 02-17-2004, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigBearFX
the noisy valve train your guys are talking about, what does it sound like? mine seems to sound like it a nocking noise almost, when its first started. at idle
It's a clicking noise on mine .. sounds like something is loose or out of tolerance

Old 02-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

My wolverine is a 99 and you can hear the valves as well.

The sound is hard to describe, it's not clicking.

This might sound stupid to some of you, but the best way I found to describe this sound is that it
sounds like boiling marbles....

I know that's a wierd analogy, but hey, worked for me...

Aramis

Old 02-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not too weird! In 15 years of being a gear head, I've never heard of the refference, but anyone with the problem would probably agree it's close. Not that I've ever boiled marbles before, but now that you brought it to the table, one of us has to try it. The sound would best be described as a ticking (for the fellow who asked back a few posts). I think it's safe to say that with the number of posts received on this in one day, Warrior's and Wolverines have noisy valve trains. Not that I'm comfortable with that, but as I stated earlier, the last 4 Yamaha street bikes I've had were the same. I respect the break in period as much as possible, so aside from being ****, I have to assume that millions of dollars spent by my favorite power sport manufacturer wouldnt be wasted on cheap labor. In short, my philosophy with bikes has always been... They paid someone a couple hundred thousand dollars to design and build this machine, no matter how many tips and tricks I'll ever learn, I still could never do better then what Yamaha does behind closed doors. I love seeing people come together for a common purpose, it's cool to feel like part of a team, clan, or breed. If you guys all have Yamaha's, you know what I'm talking about. When I get an hour, I'll do the valves and let you all know what the story is, but at least now I'm not worried. Someone earlier asked about a weird noise on start up, hopefully the noise isnt a knock. The noise we're all describing is a ticking (or marble boiling) sound, which is usually either normal or cleared up with maintenance. A knocking sound however could be serious and would be more noticeable at start up, however, don't get **** like me. In any case, when an engine sits, all of the oil drains back to the bottom, so start up's are usually a little louder. This is also why you shouldnt lay on the starter for 60 minutes if the machine wont start. Anybody else get a winch? Thanks again guys

Old 02-17-2004, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

By the way, anyone have realistic top speed numbers for a wolv? If any of you make it out by AC New Jersey, bring your machines, theres some trails and pits out here that are really asking for it. Anybody do any mods on a Wolv? What kind of changes did you notice? My V Maxx sounds like the hammers of Hell after someone left the door open, but I'm reluctant to make the Wolv scream since 95% of the time I'm doin something illegal with it.

Old 02-17-2004, 10:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm glad to see someone liked the boiling marble theory...

Don't worry, i've never tried it myself, but I dont know, something about shaking marbles or possibly little rocks in water sound just about right when trying to describe the sound produced by the valves...

Now, like armyadarkness said, since mine isn't knocking at startup, I tend to think it's normal and just keep on riding.

Aramis

Old 02-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Range Rover

Mine has always made noises.
but mine is more like a clacking noise rather than a click, and only after its warmed up. Even after two valve jobs, there was no change in pitch or anything.
B.T.W. I've had mine up to 59mph stock on an ever so slight downgrade.recorded with a trailtech
speedo/computer I got for X-mass, After calibration of course.
And I highly recommend getting the WARN 424 select for it, its A LOT stortier feeling with that mod.
just ask around.

peace
scaboy

Old 02-18-2004, 08:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

what"s the warn 424 kit? Agin, I'm new to dirt, let alone quads. I spent my life trying to get away from 4 wheels, now I cant get enough of it. I'v heard of this kit, what is it? Sounds like lockin hubs!

Old 02-18-2004, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

It lets you disconnect the front diff.

The fun part is that it's selectable... meaning once it's installed, you can go 2x4 and then 4x4 and back...

Aramis

Quick Reply: All Yamaha and Wolverine owners out there!