Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Two Into One Carb

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2000, 07:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 banshee with PC pipes,silencers and a Pro flow kit. I love the power in the mid and top end but the low end is poor. I was told the a single carb will help this. I need a system the retains the stock air box, Is of the best quality, and makes good power in the mid and top end as well. so my question is how well does it work and wich one is the best.(money is no option I always buy the best quality money can buy).
Thanx
scotch-2000 banshee, renthals, holeshots, razars, PC pipes, pro flow kit, shock wears, headlight covers, ... single carb soon

Old 07-07-2000, 03:10 PM
Range Rover

I have used the Trinity CV manifold single carb set up for years. I really do like it. Smooth powerband from bottom to top end. Jetting changes are quick and easy. I use a clamp on K&N filter. I ride a lot of MX and I kick *** on the track. It cost me $419 about seven years ago. Mine came with the Keihen 34pj carb.

Old 07-07-2000, 03:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey scotch ive got the Trinity Stage 4 2-1 with a 35mm Keihen, i dont have an airbox, I just run a straight filter because i ride in the dunes mostley, but i really like mine it is easier to work on and jetting is a snap. Graydon proline makes a 2-1 manifold system also and they have an airbox that goes with it(extra cash of course)so you might want to check that one out, I personally went with the Trinity because it looks better, hope this helps, laterz.

Old 07-08-2000, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

Scotch,

I am the perfect person for you to speak to on this topic!

In the past year, I have done numerous hop-ups to my 98 Banshee engine (Wisecos, Port/Polish, Bore, Coolhead w/18cc domes, Barnett clutch, etc.) I also fell for the "hype" and good looks of a 2 into 1 carb kit.

Well, I first got the Trinity Mark IV Kit - SUCKS! Not only did Trinity refuse to answer my installation questions on their 1-800 line, they were rude while "talking to me on my dime" and even had the nerve to tell me to call back 6 straight times!!! My first 6 calls on my dime were met by a "we are too busy in the shop to speak with you right now." The female in customer service was pathetically rude and nasty!

If that wasn't enough, on my third ride with the 2 into 1 on, I noticed that my Banshee suddenly began running extremely hot and erratic. When I pulled over and looked, I couldn't believe my eyes. The rubber boot that connects the carb to the intake manifold had split! To add to my woes, I was four miles from my home in Mexico and it was 1 a.m. I pushed that thing for almost two miles in beach sand before I was able to get someone to tow me in the rest of the way. This was bad enough, but imagine how close I came to fryin' my engine from suddenly running too lean.

When I contacted Trinity about the tear in the rubber boot, their response was, "Well, you are supposed to put a wire tie around the air filter and attach it to the frame. The carb needs this support since the boot is made of rubber." There is no where in the installation instructions that mention this. Had they been helpful when I called them about installation, maybe they could have told me about it. For those of you who are unfortunate to own the Trinity 2 into 1 kit (or any Trinity part), run out to your bike and ensure your rubber boot is in good shape. Also, put some wire ties around your air filter to help support the whole kit.

I still liked the idea of the 2 into 1 kit so I went with the Graydon next. This is a much better set-up than the Trinity. No rubber manifold boots here. It is all first grade aluminum. It looks great installed, especially when you have their 2 into 1 aluminum manifold polished. Sweet, very sweet!

However, the only problem with the Graydon kit was big. I just couldn't get it tuned to ride at sea level. No needle adjustment, main or pilot jet adjustment, etc., could eliminate all of the flat spots. Even the best "wrenchin'" shop in town couldn't seem to fix it. The kit just didn't work.

Well, I am now the proud owner of two Keihn 35mm Air Strykers. The bike now rides like the perfectly tuned machine I wanted! I only wish this is where I started. Ya, its a little harder to re-jet only because of the cramped area (the bottom 17mm caps are still there to allow easy jetting access), but it is worth it since the performance is so much more consistent

Bottom line: in my opinion, Trinity SUCKS!!! I will never buy anything from them again! They are rude and have zero concept of Customer Service. I am not just munchin' bad apples here and taking my frustrations out on Trinity. They had numerous opportunities to get it right, but their ignorance almost cost me to destroy my freshly built engine.

As a side note, I addressed this same issue with my Trinity experience sometime within the past six months on the ATV Connection. Hopefully you could do a search and find it. Several other disgruntled customers responded with similar complaints about Trinity's rudeness and complete lack of Customer Service.

The Graydon seemed to be a very well made set-up. It sure looked good, but I just couldn't get it to work right.

My advice: stay with two carbs. Don't let anyone tell you different!

Good luck and let me know what you do!

Old 07-08-2000, 10:42 PM
Range Rover

ROB4092,

How can you say you are the perfect person to ask about the 2 into 1 set up when you could not get it to work yourself?
I would agree that Trinity is lacking in customer service. That would be the only reason I would hesitate to by the product. They did not send me the correct jets when I ordered for the altitude I am riding at. But I was smart enough to realize this and I made the neccessary adjustment. My rubber boot lasted seven years. I finally replaced it this year at a cost of $44. I was smart enough to realize that it should be supported and there are a number of ways to do this very easily.
Why did you think the Graydon system was so great. Just because it looked good. If it didn't work I could care less how it looked.
I bought the Trinity system because I read good things about the performance of it in Dirt Wheels magazine. What they said about it turned out to be correct. I have not heard any test results on the Graydon system, just one other comment that it was not good.
I will not go back to the hassle of the two carbs if I don't have to. That is why I am dissapointed in the Raptor. I would say a lot of people who say they are going to get a Raptor in these forums won't be smart enough to dial in the two carbs that it has.

Old 07-09-2000, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer

Hey free1steven, I got my 2-1 carb last year I love the way it works my bike is always running perfect, but I didnt think of supporting the rubber boot, can you let me know what you did to yours to support that, any information would be apreciated, thanks in advance.

Old 07-09-2000, 07:41 PM
Range Rover

Here is my 2-1 story. I bought Graydon/Prolines version. It did seem to help make the banshee more rideable. The only problem I had was that the carb to intake rubber boot always fell off. It always fell off at a bad time to boot. You cant stop in middle of a race and put your bike togather and finish very well. I called G/P and they told me they have never heard of this. Of course!! So I ordered their allum. air box. That fixed that problem. I sent my motor and carb to CT racing to have the 370 treatment. Allen at CT told me he wasnt to sure about setting up the carb. Well I got my motor back and rode it. I was so let down. I thought I had threw away $2000 for motor work and it was still a dog. I called Allen and he said to lose the single carb and at least put the stockers back on if not 28pwk's. I had a guy swap me for some stockers and WOW ! Allen was right. This thing screams now. Now I am ready to buy a pair of 28pwk's.
Later

Old 07-10-2000, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

free1steven:

Well, I guess I am just not as smart as you! Come to think of it, neither are those who responded to this Thread. Shame on all of us. But you, you are smart! But what about your credibility?? Read on....

Ya, I couldn't get the 2 into 1 systems to work properly. In fact, the three best "wrenchin" shops in the metro-Phoenix area must not be as smart as you either since none of them could get the Trinity 2 into 1 system to consistently distribute the fuel evenly, consitently and effieciently as two carbs can. They also couldn't figure out how obvious it was to support the system like you did. I wonder if these shops will give me my money back after I use your reply to show them all how dumb they are!

Additionally, I don't think any of the ATV magazine reviews would go so far as to say any 2 into 1 system works better than any two aftermarket carb systems that cost about the same as the 2 into 1 systems.

I can only speak from personal and first hand experience. The two Air Strykers I now have outperform, by far, either of the 2 into 1 systems I tried (Trinity and Graydon). Anyone who differs with this simply does not have a heavily worked engine and/or doesn't know what they are missing.

By the way, in your reply you state:

"My rubber boot lasted seven years. I finally replaced it this year at a cost of $44. I was smart enough to realize that it should be supported and there are a number of ways to do this very easily."

If you are as "smart" as you state, why did you wait seven years until you supported it?

Well, I guess I wasn't "smart" like you to ride my Banshee for seven years in this condition until I realized I should support the 2 into 1 system. Instead, I discovered this in less that seven DAYS and replaced the entire system! Boy, are you smart....and quick!

One last comment "free1steven," I just happened to call Trinity today and spoke to "Nick." He told me the Trinity 2 into 1 carb system has been around for "absoulutely no more than five years, but more like four years at best." How could it be that you have had yours for "seven" years????

Jeez "free1steven," I would get your story straight before you start throwing out how "smart" you are! Remember, once you lose your integrity by "fibbin" to these folks on ATVing, you will lose all of your credibility!

Think about it.

Everything else I stated in my earlier Reply stands on fact and based upon my own personal experience. I have the holes in my checkbook to prove it.

Other than that, no hard feelings!!!!

Old 07-10-2000, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

Hey well Scotch I guess you got answers from both sides, bottom line is that my setup works great, but I can only say this is true for my bike, not anybody elses.It is true what rob4092 says about 2 carb set-up, it does have more punch, but for my kind of riding(duning)I prefer the 2-1, it suits my needs perfect.

Old 07-10-2000, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

azruffyrider:

I understand the best way to support your Trinity 2 into 1 carb setup is by attaching zip ties around the air filter and attaching one to each side of the frame that runs along the bottom of the seat. Just be careful not to pull your air filter in too close to your pipes or you will burn it.

This way, your filter is still very accesible to remove and install after cleaning. All you lose is two zip ties.

By the way, I like the style of your last reply. It shows lots of class!

Thanks!