Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

popping in front end on wolverine need help fast

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping in front end on wolverine need help fast

pops in reverse under a load guys standing near me said it sounding like it was the right front but sounded like it was from the middle to me i have a 424 select but this nosiy is worse than that like a deeper sound i afraid aomething is gonna brealk i think i heard it in forwad once but it does not do it in 2wd drive, its and 03 wolverine and yes i have the yes extended service plan but i need to be sure i have good info when i take it to the shop thinks let me know im taking it in monday i believe also it tends to do it in reverse in the mud lol thinks let me know

Old 02-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me like your Warn 424 might be out of adjustment. Follow the proceedure that came with the device, or call up warn and have them step you through it. I have yet to hear of anybody having a problem such as yours and I would venture to say that it is in the warn and not something in the wolverine's tranny or differential.

Don't spend the money on the dealership looking at it until you have ruled out the warn, especially if it is merely a simple adjustment.

Ride On.

Old 02-21-2004, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

After giving your post just a tad more thought, the middle gear is spring loaded and designed to give if there are undue stresses between the rotation of the front wheels and the back wheels. If you had the fronts severely loaded (ie stuck against a rock or what not) and the back was free to spin, I think you could actually get the middlegear to "Pop" and release gear engagement. If you have the factory service manual, you could research this a bit more and get a feeling for what I am talking about.

Keep us posted.

Old 02-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

but also i dont remeber it doing it until i added the warn 424 tell u the truth never herd it before that i know of
also my cable is as loose as it can be i think maybe thats the problem i hope its nothing major i love my wolverine and dont want it to break lol as we all dont want them to break
also how much adjustment u got on your 424 also can u im me on aol man rob281stang if u have thinks for your reply also let me know what u think cause theres no way i have over 4 or 5 oil changes on it has not been ridden much lol thanks

Old 02-22-2004, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry, no can do on the aol im. I currently do not have a Warn 424, but rather a Highlifter Unlocker. Same results, just different mechanical means to accomplish the same goal. I don't know the actual adjustment parameters, or proceedure, but I know it exists as I have talked with engineering @ Warn about their device. Read your adjustment information thoroughly and give it a shot. I would lay a $10 bill on the table and be comfortable that there is nothing wrong with your wolverine. They are just too proven.

Keep us posted.

Old 02-22-2004, 12:15 AM
Trailblazer

ok ill let u know tomorrow im gonna wash it and follow the adjustment procedure then hoefully i can go ride some lol and the more u say the fourwheeler is fine there nothing up there that could pipe like that i mean if it did it would do it all the time correct like and axle on a car or something but the gears would pop ever revolution ive heard the gears bad on other 4 wheelers so i hope u are right and will adjust it tomorrow

Old 02-22-2004, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer

hey 95 wolverine cable seems to be adjusted properly so what should i check next i just hope its nothing major what ever it is i just dont like how it sounds even thought when we rode yesteer day it only popped twice that i know of, just let e know what i should check and what not thinks

Trending Topics

Old 02-22-2004, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me like you need to determine where it is coming from. If you can get it to do it, listen carefully and deterimine if it is from the Warn 424 or the engine on the left side.

If you still haven't discovered which is causing the noise, be careful. If you installed your Warn 424 unit yourself (ie a dealership did not do it) I would remove it. Sometimes a dealership will try at any and all costs to blame an aftermarket component for causing a factory part to fail. If he doesn't know it was ever installed, he can not blame it.

It might sound like a lot of work, but you could remove it and put your factory drive shaft back in and go riding. If you don't get any popping at all, ride it some more until you are quite confident that the problem is your Warn unit.

If the dealership did install it, leave it. I would hope that a dealership would back their installation and be mechanical minded enough to know that there is nothing that the Warn 424 can do to damage the transmission on your bike unless you shift it back into 4WD while the rear tires are spinning and the fronts are not. In my honest opinion, this would shell out the warn unit before damaging your wolverine tranny. But remember, that is just my opinion.

Keep us posted.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

hey 95 wolverine got a question could it be the splines on the axles could it be spinning were it splines i dunno never looked at one i would think it would be much toughfer than that i mean if it sliped oncce i would think the psplines would be gone completely and if the gears were bad it would pop evertime it got to the bad spot correct im just trying to narrow it down to what could be going on its a loud pop i mean i can here it over the motor and having my helmet on thanls man let me know what u think on that

Old 02-23-2004, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

something you might look at is the front cv boots make sure there on and dont have any tears or cracks my grizzly knocked a boot off on one side and i thought the whole front end was coming apart dirt will get in the cv and bind it up causing it to pop and sometimes pull to one side good luck

Quick Reply: popping in front end on wolverine need help fast