Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Any 686 Riders....

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 08:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any 686 Riders....

How are you guys running? Was your quads hard to tune and set up? Do you love the power increase over stock or stock w/ pipe? Any major problems?

What are you thoughts and opinion's on how good they run, and what should I look out for when I get mine back?

Any help from you guys would be appreciated.

Old 02-22-2004, 08:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll want some stiffer springs for your clutch, I would also leave out the cushion spring and put a regular fiber where the spring and fiber used to be.
What are you doing with your carbs?

Old 02-22-2004, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

I just barely got the 686 kit on Friday and went to the dunes on Friday night. I am still waiting for the cam to come in for them to install, but with the bore kit and the 11:1 JE piston, I noticed a huge difference! And the cam will only make things even more in tune together... Usually I go up this mountain in Utah (Sand Mountain) and i can only go up in 2nd gear. But when i went down there thies weekend, i was able to go up halfway in 4th and then had to shift down to third about half way up..... No one that was down there this weekend could keep up with me and that included the YFZ 450s and there was even a couple of Honda TRX 450s... and keep in mind that i still didn't have my Stage 2 Hot Cam installed yet and titanium valve springs that would synchronize everything together. I think you are making the right decision to go with the 686 kit. Good Luck!

P.S. Just make sure that when you get it back, there is oil in it! I got mine back and he said he had changed the oil and topped it off, and i checked it when i got down to the dunes and it was completely bone dry!

Old 02-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

are you the guy with the blue rappy and shaved front fenders 02rap

Old 02-22-2004, 10:13 PM
Trailblazer

No I have a blue raptor, but i haven't shaved off my fenders. I was racing a lot Friday night and Saturday morning, but then I had a problem with my engine.... I raced to the top of sand mountain at around noon and all of a sudden i hears some pinging in my ****ing engine.. so i jetted back down to my truck and checked out the oil and it was completely bone dry! Not even a trace of oil was showing up on the dipstick! I had just got it back from the day before and the guy at Carrey's Cycle told me that he changed the oil and topped it off. So i called him up A.S.A.P. and b****ed him out and he said he would look at it and if needed, he would fix it for free. I'm taking it back into him tommorrow and then hopefully i will be back down at Sand MOuntain on either the 5th or 12th of March. Either way, i was surprised at how nice the weather was! I was worried when i woke up and there was a skiff of snow on the ground!

Old 02-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm going to need alittle help sixsixt. Raptor03/TheSickOne said he had a couple secrets' on getting the stockers to work. But if I can't get them to work right, I'm going to hunt up a set of 35mm FCR's from Ebay like BigScary.

I just had a GYT-R clutch installed a month or so ago. Yamaha covered it on the warrenty. The wanted to install the oem clutch kit, but didn't have one, and some guy at Yamaha told them to replace it as a one time goodwill act. So I was happy with the fact that Yamaha honored their warrenty. They also covered the one way right after I got the bike.

But I'm going to attempt to mod the stockers to work, if not I'll be looking over Ebay until I find a set. Once I get everything back and together, I'm hoping you guys can help.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

mine ran pretty good with the stock carbs.........the little I rode it with stock carbs I never got it Jetted perfect.........
with FCR's it is freakin STRONG.....I think there is more power to get out of the craptor with a little tuning...

Old 02-22-2004, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

i love my lil 686...

Old 02-23-2004, 12:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

How's it run bad350twin??

Any problems or tuning problems?

Old 02-23-2004, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

I think my 686 runs real good! Of course around here there arent many other 4 strokes to compare to! I have raced Zombie and also Mark Robertson's own 727 and other 4 strokes as well.... but mainly im usually racing alky 350 shees on the 300' sand track! I run the FCR35's and all the other goodies with a Sparks pipe and am very happy with my setup! I actually bought the bike basically already built ( traded a buddie for my drag shee) and this motor is on its second season and not one lick of problems!

Quick Reply: Any 686 Riders....