Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How does the kodiak measure up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the kodiak measure up?

I also have put a jet kit and 25 bear claws all around and some aftermaket parts that lightened the bike and have tyred a couple pipes but am in the process of finding a full pipes. A few other smaller mods.

Old 02-25-2004, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

with the jet kit are you constantly fooling around with them? I heard of a guy taking his up to the top of a mountain(8000 feet or something) and having no problems with the jetting.

Old 02-25-2004, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

these aftermarket parts you put on, What are they that made it lighter? does the K&N filter make it leaner or richer? Im not too familiar with what the K&N air filter actually does for you. Lots of gain in Horsepower? How much if you could be precise?

Sorry for all the questions but I am interested in Getting more horsepower out of my Kodiak 450. I just dont want to really screw stuff up at the same time. sometimes when you put something on you have to get other stuff because the original part caused some grief. i am Planning on doing some ATV Touring/Guiding this summer and dont want my bike to turn into a piece ofS**t because of something I did to it.

Old 02-25-2004, 10:29 PM
Range Rover

The air filter will not harm the bike at all it only increases the air flow and therefore you must rejet so i used the K&N power kit and this does add a noticible increase in bottem end power and throttel responce, it is adversized that a 15% horsepower increase but common. I have also added an aftermaket clutch that also increase the throttel responce and a slip on pipes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] and am tyring to find a full system which sould add some more power all around. As to lightening up the bike dont worrie about doing it i was kinda forced into some of it like a new stonger and lighter axel because the stock one bent and a arms as well as other stupid parts like that.

Old 02-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Range Rover

If you hear of any other parts that would add some power please share.

Old 02-25-2004, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Is the aftermarket clutch kit that you have, the same one as advertised for the Grizzly for oversized tires? Is the Jet Kit easy to install? Or do you have to monkey around with it for awhile to get it right?

Old 02-25-2004, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

I wonder if Split Fire spark plugs made by NGK would run too hot in the Kodiak 450 and 400 engines. Those are supposed to add horses to the engines as well.

Old 02-26-2004, 09:25 AM
Trailblazer

slow down!?! e-bay... put in kodiak. or yamaha, or both, you will find it,,, atv, works good, for a search...

Old 02-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Range Rover

If you do some serching on ebay and other sites you will find the parts you need and even local shops may make custiom parts for you, thats where i found the parts i needed. and the jet kit was not to hard to install the instrucions for it were good.

Old 02-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

The Kodiak 450 sounds like a good quad for your needs. Mine plows very well and it's a blast to rip around on!

Quick Reply: How does the kodiak measure up?