Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wiseco or Pro X - Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2000, 03:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently redoing the top end of my Banshee. I am not sure whether to go with the Wiseco Pro Lite or the Pro X piston. I have read all of the manufacture's claims but would like to get a riders perspective. I would like to get your opinions as to the pros and cons of the Wiseco and Pro X pistons.

Old 07-09-2000, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

I had this exact discussion with Lenny at Duncan Racing. He said that cast pistons were preferable for 2-strokes, while forged were best for 4-strokes. I don't remember all the details why, but I have never gone wrong from taking his advise. The pro-x pistons work great in my banshee. Cast pistons also require much less break-in.

Old 07-10-2000, 06:11 PM
Range Rover

There are many ways of thinking about this subject. Personally I prefer the forged piston over the cast for these reasons. They are lighter, stronger, and can take a little more abuse than cast. Granted the forgings take longer to warm up it is worth it. Go find yourself an out of service cast and forged piston. Drop them both on a concrete floor and see which one is stronger. I have done this and the cast piston skirts snap off like candy. The same thing can happen in your engine.
I know if you go to macdizzy.com he will say go with cast pistons. All I am saying is that I have put forged pistons in every motor I have built and have never had a piston related problem. Usually a dirty airfilter will cause more failures than the piston alone. later
eric

Old 07-10-2000, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

Cast pistons crack and break, save your self the time and money of trying to replace the entire bottom end by using a forged wiseco. When a cast piston breaks it falls down in the bottom end and that is the end of bearings and rods and etc. Since you have a banshee i would reccomend Vitos power pistons, see the ad in dirt wheels, these are very good and made for vitos by wiseco, and offer a boost in power.

Old 07-12-2000, 01:18 AM
Range Rover

This post makes no sense, he says cast pistons crack and break and forged pistons ruin bearings when they break. Then he says that Wisecos are cast, when they are actually forged. Vitos pistons are make by Wiseco, they are forged. To clear this thing up, Wiseco's are forged, and no matter what the piston, be it forged or cast, when they break bearings can be damaged. Cast pistons usually shatter, and forged usually just break. No piston is invinceable, but if you keep the airfilter clean, and allow ample warm up, esp. for wisecos, they will last. Just make sure to replace them before they are slopped out. I have seen way to many busted pistons due to improper airfilter maintenance and slopped out bores. Basically ignore Yamaraptors post, unless he comes back to fix his glaring errors. And Yamaraptor don't take it personally, I think you just flipped cast and forge around. Later
eric