Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'00 Wolverine quit??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2000, 06:16 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[blue]My wolverine did the same thing Sat. Went to a buds and tried to back it off the trailer and presto, it died. Everytime I touched the throttle, it died. Then it got to the point where it wouldn't restart. I had put a Dynojet kit in and expected something I did. All I found is that the bowl was completely empty. Took off the fuel line and I couldn't blow into the carb. The needle and seat had stuck. I tapped on the lower bowl, you may need to remove the four screws and make sure the float isn't stuck which in turn closes the fuel passage.
The strange thing, is that it ran fine the week before.

It's a quick check, drain the bowl by opening the bowl drain. Remove the fuel line feeding the carb and you should be able to blow in it. If not, that is the prob.

Good luck,:P [/blue]

Old 07-11-2000, 06:24 AM
Range Rover

Did you check the most obvious thing first??? Namely the clamps? What you are describing is exactly what happened to me when the rubber intake tube between my carb & the head cracked and started sucking air. It backfires and/or stalls when you give it gas, and runs a little better when you choke it. I'm just thinking maybe the clamps because you said it was backfiring around the intake clamps, and if the clamps were tight enough, you shouldn't be able to feel the backfire get past them. A word of advice.... if you try tightening the clamps, make sure the rubber end is totally seated over the carb before you tighten. Mine wasn't, and that is how I tore the rubber. It is $150 canadian for a new one.

Old 07-11-2000, 11:34 AM
Range Rover

This sounds weire but I went riding with some folks last weekend and they had a wolverine that was low on oil they didnt know this until about an hour on our ride it started to like bog, it would idle and barely run but due to its low oil condition it wouldnt run very good, seemed like it was leaning out but when they put more oil in it, it ran fine. I dunno

Old 07-11-2000, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

My friends wolverine had the exact same problem. He got sawdust in his carburator. Hope this helps

00 400ex
www.geocities.com/cory_14/

Old 07-11-2000, 09:56 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like you have something in the bowl that will not pass through the main jet, weather it be dirt sand or water, it doesnt take much. There are also vent holes on the carb that things can find there way into...
You might try finding the drain plug on the bowl and draining it, might just do the trick and its easy to do...
Hope this helps

Old 07-12-2000, 01:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

The exact same thing happened to me! Only $85 in Indiana,still to damn much for a bad design. The 95's had a bolt on boot instead of those cheap clamps they are using now.Also it took six weeks to get the part.

Old 07-12-2000, 09:07 AM
Range Rover

Got the carb off yesterday and drained everything. I think maybe it was the gas. There was a little bit of debris in it and it looked like it had water in it. No more gas from that station. I'm going to clean the carb up real good while I have it off and see how it does. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 07-13-2000, 01:49 PM
Range Rover

Cleaned the carb up and put it back on. It still wanted to die when I touched the throttle. Opened the drain screw up on the bowl and nothing came out??? Does this mean the float is stuck?

Old 07-13-2000, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer

I would say so. Pop the bowl off and remove the float and make sure the needle isn't jammed in the seat. You might also want to make sure fuel will run out the feed line from the tank to the carb. Maybe it's plugged up with something.

Old 07-14-2000, 07:01 AM
Trailblazer

Pull the fuel line off the carb, make sure fuel flows with the petcock in both on and reserve. I have seen where one works and not the other!!
good luck-- keep us informed
DOO800

Quick Reply: '00 Wolverine quit??