Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Input on Grizzly 660 break in

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input on Grizzly 660 break in

So what is the best thing to use to clean the plastic on this thing, I used to just wash the Trailboss and then wipe it down with pledge to make it shine. That seems to dull this plastic bad!?

Old 03-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Trailblazer

I use pledge on the plastic and it works great, what color Grizzly do you have?

As far as breaking it in I would ride it like normal, except don't do the fast take offs and stay away from the WOT and huge mud holes until after the first oil change. After the brake in period and first service I noticed a big difference in the power.

Old 03-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought the blue one. I really liked the limited edition red one, but couldn't see paying $300 extra for fancy paint that is just going to get scratched up anyway.... There is alot of manzanita brush around here and it is hard on the plastic. I went for another short ride today, I have 5 hours on the machine now.

Old 03-08-2004, 03:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

As you can see, you get a lot of different answers from this. I could agree with all but one. DONT break it in like you are going to ride it. I've heard that forever and its just stupid. We had a buddy get a Rincon last year and the second day he had it, he's in this mud pit just winding out the throttle. Bike had 20 miles on it at that point. Plugged the radiator with mud that day, and it was spitting coolant out the overflow. Well, I heard yesterday that his bike is getting a complete overhaul, because he blew the engine. Another note, his bike was always slower than the other friends Rubicon was. Even accelerated slower with smaller and lighter weight tires.

My main advice is don't hot rod it til its got about 150 miles or so on it, and VARY the throttle. Don't just ride at one slow speed or high speed all the time. Try to do this as much as you can stand it, because if you are like me, you are wishing the break in period would just hurry the hell up. I would change the oil and filter at about 150 miles, and then again at 300 or 400 (depending on how much you ride, this could be like a year for some folks, and I would do it sooner than that).

I think I took mine wide open for the first time after like 60 miles. Waited til it had about 120 before I would do it very often at all, changed the oil out at 180, then again about 400. I change it every 500 miles now. Same break in with my AC500 I used to have. Absolutely no problems with either of these quads.

Either adjust your valves or have somebody else do it the first time you change the oil. These things get out of spec fairly quick. Much unlike our old 300 honda. I adjusted the valves on it last year. This was the first time ever for that quad, and we've had it since 1989. They were just at the bottom end of being in spec too. Freakin ridiculous.

Old 03-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

WOT wide open throttle.

Andy is right! Do as he says and you will find that she will run better longer.

Old 03-08-2004, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Andy, thanks for the input! I was wondering also how removing the sway bar effects the handling at higher speeds and for cornering?

Old 03-08-2004, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have not come across anything in my riding adventures yet that has required WOT as this thing has so much power I am not so sure I will ever truely need to use it all.....LOL Thank you everyone for all of your input, I really appreciate your comments.

Old 03-09-2004, 12:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I can only notice if it if I ride it one way for a long time and then switch back. Then its noticeable. It wheelies better with the bar on. No squat, seeing as the anti-sway bar should really be called the anti-IRS bar, because it pretty much takes away all but 1" of articulation.

I've ridden it hard a lot without the bar on, and its no problem at all. Unless you were running for your life and taking curves at breakneck speed, you probably aren't going to find it to be bad. Mine is back on right now, but mainly because I wanted to see if I could get it to wheelie, and I never got around to taking the thing back off. It does powerslide a lot better if the bar is on there though.

Pretty much, if I'm riding fast and a lot of dirt roads and that crap, I put it on. If I'm going over the rocks and logs and stuff, I take it off. All four stay on the ground without the thing. With it on, the only advantage it gives you over a solid axle is ground clearance. The articulation on a swingaxle Arctic Cat is a lot more than a 660 with the anti-sway bar intact. That was the most dissapointing thing I found when I got mine home. Of course, a month later I took it off.

Old 03-09-2004, 11:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Andy, thats what I needed to know. I will play around with it and see how it feels to me. Thanks again everyone for all of your input!

Old 08-14-2004, 07:55 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, here's what I did. My dealer told me to get the quad up to temp. (I assumed normal operating temp.) three times and let it cool completely off. He said I could ride it around a little to get the temp. up. I did that twice. Then I took it to the first trail. I went WOT for about 15 seconds. Then rode lots of trails with it. Brought it home, let it cool off. I had been reading on here how you are supposed to change the oil after 20 hrs. Well, It had 346 miles on it at 20 hrs. I figure, no big deal, I change the oil/filter and it is BLACK BLACK. I ride it to town and back (68 miles) and check the oil again, it looks brand new (gotta love Yamalube). Did I screw up an awesome bike? I seems to be running fine, just needs a better pipe/filter/rejet I think. Does the warranty cover the valve adjustment or is that out of pocket?

Quick Reply: Input on Grizzly 660 break in