Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How does this sound? (686 owners)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 06:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does this sound? (686 owners)

Just think about the cost of a head gasket. Hmmmm.
Yeah no joke, at $50 a pop it adds up quick. Don't tell anybody I said this, but the one I have in now is used.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]...yeah I'm a tight wad.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

1BADRAPTOR....you need to keep one name. I keep confusing you with somebody else.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]LOL

Raptorboy4life, you need to do some research before you go into a build like this. There is more to owning a built Raptor than just putting gas in and going, like you can stock. This is a good place to do it though.

Compression ratio is a ratio of how many times the volume of the cylinder gets compressed from the bottom of the pistons stroke ( a.k.a. BDC or bottom dead center) to the top of the pistons stroke ( a.k.a. TDC or top dead center). 11/1 (pronounced eleven to one) means the volume inside the cylinder gets compressed 11 times in half a revolution.
Porting and polishing is something that is done to the intake and exhaust runners in the head. Simply put it aids in smoothing out any turbulance, speeding up the incoming fuel/air charge, and increasing the volume of the runner. Anybody can port and anybody can polish, the questions is how much to do and where at? This is, or can be, alot more complicated than it sounds.

Get what you want the first time and get it done right, even if it means having to wait a little while.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2004, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

(pronounced eleven to one)

Is that even How is sounds in Mississippi? J/K[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2004, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

okay so basically if i bore it to 102mm and put in the hotcams i would need new valve springs and i wont get power unless i port and polish.. phew i didn't think it would be that much work.. How bout if i bore it to 102mm and put the ross piston 11:1 ratio from craycraft and thats all i do! can i do that? haha it seems that i dont want to go te extra mile! well I dont want to spend all that money that i hear other people talk about like (1000 - 2000) I dont want to spend that. Also im thinking about doing it as a project so i can save up a little more $ and get it ported and polished but im saying to myself would it hurt the engine or somthing? i dont want to mess with a lot of new engine parts but i will if there cheap and i can see what im doing because working on motors it fun to me!!! i just dont want to get stranded and dont know anything that im doing!! -Matt-

Old 03-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

I know ward,im getting confused my self and i promise this is the last one....

I think the new name fits me quite well,thats what they are going to say whn i pass them up on the hill(Thats 1badraptor),i am getting the whole engine redone and the whole look of the bike well be pewdercoated or polished..i am assembeling the skeleton this weekend and then sending Bob my whol engine to get worksed on again.

lowbowtie i hear you on the 3rd build,go big the first time or youll regret it,save your money and dont cut corners or you will get beat and not like it very much....

Old 03-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

WOW you will not believe what i just did also.. I called up a shop and im sending him my side cases to be sand blasted and powercoated!!!!!! are you doing the same thing? What color are you going to do.. hahahaha this is so cool hes going to do my whole engine and its going to look awesome! Do you guys think that because im doing this as a project that i should send it out to get worked on? I really want to do it myself and see how my home done work beats everybody and it seems cool lol! I am going to have one bad *** raptor when im done with it lol

Old 03-10-2004, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

you appreciate it more and if it messes up it's your fault,but i am painting the engine myself and i polished my sidecased last night and am almost done, i stripped them,sanded them and i am going to take to a polishers for a clean up,i painted my own a-arms and got the frame and hubs and rims powdercoated..

i am at the point that i want it done now so i can ride but then i step back and dream of when im on her for the first ride,it's going to be great...If i can save a little cash with my own elbow grease then i will do it..

Patience is a virtue and will pay off in the long run..

Old 03-10-2004, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

i would change the rod if u are going bigger and higher compression.
Rudy

Old 03-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Do they even make aftermarket rods?

Old 03-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider

yep, just sent my motor to Mr.Bob cause i didnt replace the rod the last time, i had je 12:1 and hot cam stage 2. Talk to craycraft. I would deffinately think twice about going 12 or higher on compression with stock rod. Not 100 percent sure its the compression that makes the rod blow but something does.
Rudy

Old 03-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

oh so you actually had yours done? if you did can you tell me what they did and how much you paid?

Quick Reply: How does this sound? (686 owners)