Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Jumping a Warrior?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2000, 01:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been riding and cutting up on my friend's 300EX for a while and haven't had problems. I just got this bike a month or two ago and yesterday I had a major spill taking a jump. I've heard people go on and on dissing on the front heavy Warrior, but that's not helping. How do I jump this thing and land correctly? I tried leaning back on the seat and that didn't help at all.

Old 07-12-2000, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For openers get off the seat & on the pegs, which are there for standing not as foot rests. You may be chopping the throttle before or as you leave the lip of the jump; to keep the nose from dropping due to the weight distribution of the Warrior, maintain some throttle while shifting you body to the rear of the bike. How much throttle & how much body English depends on several factors; your weight, attitude of the bike, speed, type of landing, ie. table top, downside, etc. If I'm landing on the downside of a jump I try to land with the front wheels touching just before the rear ones. On a table top or other horizontal surface, the opposite is the preferred choice. If the nose should get too high, a shift of body position may alter the attitude coupled with tapping the rear brake. It's all a matter of trial & error, practice on a variety of jumps plus the realization that stock suspension will only allow a limited amount of air time.
It's likely that others will have more, or even contradictory, ideas but these work for me.

Old 07-12-2000, 01:31 PM
GJ
Range Rover

I have an 87 warrior also. I think the bike jumps well and doesnt have a heavy front end. if your standing when you jump (i hope) and in a neutral position on the bike, then alot of it will be throttle control, then body english. Like Hot Shoe mentioned, it sounds like you are letting off the gas a bit soon. If you consistantly drop the front end, try staying on the gas a bit longer. I would try different techniques on smaller jumps first though....body parts are painfull and bike parts are expensive.

Old 07-12-2000, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer

Well I do fine on the smaller jumps, get the front end up just right. The problem is that this was a pretty big jump and my front tires hit first in 2 truck tire ruts.

Old 07-12-2000, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

I'd say hot_shoe is telling you right. I take some pretty big jumps here and there and in most cases I go way way back, feet on the pegs and butt in the air, just like on a dirt bike. I've had a couple of close calls early on and landed on the front wheels. Just don't take any sass from it and make it do what you want it to.

Old 07-12-2000, 06:50 PM
Range Rover

Dirt Wheels did a thing about how to jump. The way you should try to jump a warrior is: be standing coming into the jump. When you are about 10 feet from the bottom of the jump, let off the throttle. When you feel the bike going up the jump berm, punch it. Kinda like your doing a wheelie in the air. Now you can get too much lift and land on your back tires a little too hard. But it takes a little practice jumping a four stroke. If it were a 2, just keep it smooth and lean back.. and there it flies. But, it takes practice just like everything else. Later,

Old 07-12-2000, 09:17 PM
Range Rover

I usually have to run it a little faster (faster than you would expect for the extra weight) and get the center of gravity further to the rear of the quad (than I would with any other quad, i.e. Blaster etc). Best of Luck.

Trending Topics

Old 07-13-2000, 12:52 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the tips ya'll. I think I found my biggest problem though. I noticed the tires were wobbling up front so I went and got new bearings. I found out the inside bearing on the right side was completely busted and it looks like these were the factory bearings. That makes me feel better though. The idiot I got this from really didn't care about it.

Old 07-13-2000, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

hey 300 what's up fellow Tx'n. Where do you guys ride at mostly. We usually go to RedRiver near the tx/ok border, Shiloh in e tx or Lake Murray Okla. Thought I'd ask, I like to find new places close to Dallas.
tom

Old 07-13-2000, 03:35 PM
Range Rover

Quick Reply: Jumping a Warrior?