Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Decompression Pin in Raptor Motor ----

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 07:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decompression Pin in Raptor Motor ----

Thanks gary, helpful as always.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2004, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the problem with my decomp pin, it pushes the keepers on the cam wheel apart and i installed my hot cam and something keeps munching up my decomp keepers on the cam wheel, what the heck is going on, i have no idea, i think taking it out would solve this problem but i dont know, unless someone can tell me why my decomp pin keepers on the cam wheel keep get ruined im am stuck. HELP

Old 03-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: CTracingraptor
unless someone can tell me why my decomp pin keepers on the cam wheel keep get ruined im am stuck. HELP
Are you talking of the guide plates, stoppers for the weights on the cam gear? Part #3YF-12233-00-00. These are the pieces that go on with the cam gear bolts when you bolt on the gear to the cam.

Old 03-28-2004, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

Yes i just ruined that part today, i just turned on my engine for about 30 sec, and i heard a lot of valve noise so i shut it off an when i took off the head cover i found that part wedged between my cam wheel and head, like i said this is the second time this has happened and i havent even been able to ride it, first time it caused much worse of a mess, i busted the same part , along with the weights, the springs, sheared the bolts, not the cam bolt that attach to the cam, but the ones that hold the weights on, it is not getting hung up on anything when i manually crank the engine over, had to buy a new cam wheel and chain, what the heck is going on i have no idea. So i figured it would be easier just to remover all of that craaap, cuz i have no idea how to fix it, is it the hot cam? bought it new from magic racing about a month ago. How do i fix anyone please help.

Old 03-29-2004, 09:28 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Are you sure you have the decompression assembly installed correct? Here is a parts fiche of the assembly...Pick here. I have my cam laying on the work bench with the wheel and decompression assembly already installed. I will take a look at it this evening and try too determine what could be causing your problems. Have you broke or switched your head cover?
Gary

Old 03-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the looks of the microfiche the pin and spring are installed and slid through the end of the cam. I know thats not correct, so how does it need to be done? I have had excessive noise and other problems since my cam install, but since I put a piston in at the same time, I thought that was the problem.

Old 03-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

THere is a hole that goes through the cam for the pin too slide through. The opposite side of the cam is smaller in diameter so the pin does not fall through and lets the pin operate in it's proper manner. The spring goes in first, then the pin. I hold the pin down with a small screwdriver and slip the decompression mechanism arm in the end of the cam until it's over the decomp pin. Remove the screwdriver and push decomp arm on in. Make sure the flyweights and assembly are correct and on the nipples on the cam, add some medium lock-tite too the retaining screws and tighten up the decompression set-up. Move flyweight arm and the decomp pin moves in. It's ready...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img].

Old 03-29-2004, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

You need to MAKE SURE your putting part 5 in CORRECTLY, if you put it in backwards it will mess stuff up BIG TIME. when the rpms are high enough to make the part turn it will pus the decompresion pin out and it will hol dhte exaust vavle open. It WILL RUN, but will make a horrible ticking noise. Also you might pull part 17 off and makr sure it is isntalled correctly and is not putting to much force on the chain. The shop put part 5 in wrong on mine and and it costs a pretty penny to fix......

Old 03-29-2004, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

Another thought, check your rocker arm, if it shows a deep mark where the pin would hit the rocker arm, then you had it in backwards.....

Old 03-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

OK i have the terrible clatter coming from my valves as mentioned above. How do you have part 5 put in wrong, after reading what you guys wrote i,ve done everthing youve said but i have a question still, the the nipple need to be in the out position or in the position (in position is alomst parallel to the cam itself, out the nipple sticks out about 1 mm.) also if i try to push in the decomp pin with will not spread apart the weights?

Quick Reply: Decompression Pin in Raptor Motor ----