Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Recall!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Recall!!!!!!!

I just bought my new quad this last weekend. Its a 03 Raptor in Blue. I just got a call from the previous owner that there is a current recall on the bike and its breaks are faulty... when I was purchasing the bike I noticed that the parking brakes weren't working.. or at least I wasn't doing it right. The guy also mentioned that his only son died on the bike. I still have to call him today at 6 when he gets back from work. The dealer didn't mention anything about this except for the fact that the bike had some white marks on the fenders so that it was bent or flipped or something. I paid $4200 and plus taxes came out to around 4580 or so. Anyone know what I can do about this? I'm mad the fact that I now own a ATV that someone was killed on before, and the fact that the brakes have a recall. It won't cost me anything to fix but still sucks. Anyone think I over paid? What do I do?

Thanks Guys!

Old 03-18-2004, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Why should you be mad that you bought a quad that someone was killed on when the guy you bought it off of told you that fact up front? The deal with the rear brake from what I heard is that aggitation from riding can cause air bubbles in the lines. The fix is some
gadget they will put in the rear brake rezzie to stop this. I seriously doubt the guys death was the result of this situation. I havent experienced any rear brake problems with the Rappy although I will take it in for the mod.

Regarding what to do, make sure you take the quad in for the recall, have them look over the entire quad if the guy hasnt had it looked at from this fatal accident, and read up on the operation of the quad so you can tell if the parking brake is working or not.

Old 03-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

It's 2 rubber rings (washers almost) that go on the bolt that holds the brake res. to keep it from vibrating.. i laughed at what they are recaling it for///..Itook my whole frigin frame down ther because it is a part right now and all they needed was the brake itself,jerks,i tld them how my bike was and they still tried to clown,..

Old 03-18-2004, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

haha i know and the funniest thing is that they cant give it to us to put it on ourselves hahahaha it is this----> you take two screwes out and slip on rubber dampeners then screw the bolts back in... hahaha this is so funny lol anyone else see them fix it?

Old 03-18-2004, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer

i havent had any problems with my back brakes and i have had it for 2 years brand new and u just take it there and they will do it and the parking brake thing can be wierd sometimes on that u got to mess with but its a great bad a$$ machine. i love it.

Old 03-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

He didn't tell me up front. All he said up front was that theres very little white marks on the fenders and guessed that someone flipped it. (thats what the dealer said) Then the previous owner got the recall in the mail and then called the dealer that he sold it to. Then told them to call the dealer they sold it to and then he gave them my number and he called me and told me that his son died on it.

Old 03-18-2004, 09:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay so I called the guy. And turns out his song was on his way to a trail and then his brakes starting locking up and it was skidding to the side but he regained control and was fine. A Second later, they locked up again and he lost control and eventually ended up in a tree with the bike on top of him. He was 15 and had been riding for 10 years. The guy was a really nice older man and I think he's in the process of taking legal action with it and might want to buy it back from me.

Old 03-18-2004, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

I dont believe for one minute that the brakes spontaneously locked up, think of the failure mechanism of a hydraulic brake. The guy wants to rape the atv industry for his kids death.

I would sell the quad back to him for a bundle if he wants it, maybe $25-50K. His lawyer will talk him into it just to try and get millions off of yamaha. If he is successful, the next $100 increase in the cost of your next new yammy will be thanks to guys like that. I know I am coming off insensitive but alot of people go headhunting for the manufacturers or anyone else when something happens to them.

All the wrecks I have seen has been rider error. Although I would not have wanted to been on a city street with my street legal Rappy
when my tranny cratered and locked up. I know I would have stopped alot faster than any car tailgating behind me.

Old 03-19-2004, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

Sucks to hear about the death. I doubt it has anything to do with the recall, the problem wasnt with breaks locking, its with the breaks not working.

Old 03-19-2004, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Now that just straight out scurrrss the he!! out of me. I'm a 14 yearold getting a raptor soon. I dont want to end up dieing. It's just scary deff watcing out for my brakes. It makes me not even want to ride. Thats my fit idea. Then my second idea is to never think that agian beacuase this is what i love

Quick Reply: Raptor Recall!!!!!!!