Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 07:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak Question

I just did the front wheel bearing on my 02 Kodiak. The factory bearing are only sealed on one side leaving the other side open for contamination. I did not get new factory bearing because my dealer want 30 canadian each (i wanted 4). I went to the local bearing shop and got 4 sealed (on both sides) for 20 bucks. So now may bearing are better sealed. And my 02 is a limited slip diff. Had I known that 03 was going to bring the 450 with diff I would have waited.

Old 03-25-2004, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kodiak Question

Just went for a ride in some Sierra Cement (snow) yesterday, an '03 and an '04 Kodiak 450, plus one GPS Rancher. All very good bikes but the Lim. slip on the front end of the Rancher was no match for the Diff. locks on the Kodiaks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. I can also tell you that you do not need to hold down the diff. lock button.
Last Summer I took my new Kodiak up to Wentworth Springs on the Rubicon and will tell you the locking diff and low range was a definite must for slow rock climbing with one front tire up in the air.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] So far I am extremely happy with mine!!!

Old 03-26-2004, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default Kodiak Question

The diff-lock is a must in the muskeg, nasty mud holes and deep snow. It does steer real hard, but thats when you have decent traction so you propably don't need to use it. The nice thing is that it is there in case you do need it.

Old 03-26-2004, 06:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kodiak Question

I've been on record as saying the diff-lock was over-rated. I was mad because it sucked me into the gumbo so bad i couldn't move.I have found some occasions where it's great, like off-cantor stuff where one wheel is in the air. I like having low range more, but the diff-lock is good too. It's great when you need it, but it's not often during most rides that i find I'm using it. But hey, we used to only have 2wd and still got to lots of places we wouldn't have thought possible, so maybe that's still stuck in me.

On bearings, I do exactly what Kodiac 400 said; find out bearing size, go to bearing shop and get them for less, PLUS, they're sealed on both sides. I popped out the seal first, added a little extra grease, and then put seal back on.

The Honda Foreman 450 is also a vey good quad. One thing i like better about it is the ability to shift down on the fly without stopping, whereas my Kodiak 450 i have to stop first to shift, and it's not always in the best position, or at the best time, or always willing to shift easily. Both are good atvs and you'd probably be happy with either. Compare your 2 dealers. I find the Honda dealers a little arrogant and with a chip on their shoulder, convinced their stuff is head and shoulders better than anything, and not willing to deal from MSRP, or add on extras. Yamaha always has a winch promo, or plow, or something.

Old 03-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default Kodiak Question

confusedbuyer, I agree with the Honda attitude. I went into the local honda shop to buy a 450 Foreman and the salesman and I were talking about what tires I wanted on it and he walks off when another customer walked in and wanted some info on a generator, not buy one just a brochure and price list. I waited for 10 minutes while he talked to them and he never said I will be right back or excuse me or anything so I decided my money was no good there and left. The price was also non-negotiable, I got that out of him when I first started talking to him, his reasoning was they were flying out the door and if I did not buy it the next guy will. I was fine with the price I just wanted the 589's put on it, other then that I was going to buy right then and there, even had the checkbook and the permission slip from the wife. Guess he could of been having a bad day but what ever happened to customer service?

I do not use my diff lock every time I am out riding, it is nice knowing that it is there when I do need it.

As for Yamaha having a promotion going on, up here the only deal right now is around 3 percent financing. Two of my friends just bought Kodiak450's this week and had to buy there winches. They did get a hundred bucks off it though for mentioning my name and they also got some more off the otd price as well. Now I hope they give me some off my next purchase since I sent them 4 guys in the last couple of months. AlaskaBoy.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kodiak Question

It's actually hilarious to see the Honda dealers are the same all over. Our local guys have the same attitude of the price is the price and they're flying out the door. No doubt all their products are excellent ( mainly the engine longevity). But they're not that much better than Yam, Kawi, Bomb, Suzuki, etc... The attitude just pi$$es me off. They must go to the same sales training school of, "we're the best so **** the rest". I think it's taught by Elaine's boyfriend from Seinfeld (the one who sold Jerry the Saab), because that's exactly who one of the local guys reminds me of. I'm sure there's a few good Honda dealers, I just haven't met them. They must be right though, that's why their are 35,000 topics in the Yamaha forum here, and less than half that in the Honda forum.

My Yamaha dealer is very negotiable on price; he wants to move units and runs a low overhead shop (compared to his competition). I got a snow plow promo on my 450, which ended in Jan/04 ( I'll probably never get it out of the box here, we only get 1 small snowfall a year). Yamaha Canada is always offering a winch, or something. Always offer 6 months no interest finance, but it's through a finance company like HFC. Surprised Yamaha USA doesn't do the same promos. Get your buds to check the Yamaha USA web page for special promos. Sometimes the dealers don't tell you about them because Yamaha expects the dealer to participate financially.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default Kodiak Question

My Honda dealer has the same attitude. "If you don't want it someone will." They will budge very little price wise. Don't get me wrong Honda does make and awesome atv. The sales man told me that Honda's sell themselves by there reputation.

Old 03-26-2004, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default Kodiak Question

I agree with confused. The diff-lock can get you in a lot of trouble. If you do get stuck while it is engaged try not to dig four big holes by gunning it. Mud can act like a suction cup and when your in, it could be hard to get it back out.