Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Starting problem on Rappy

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 10:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
I'm Short and Very Ugly.....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem on Rappy

If your starter is still working, try turning your motor over and feel the starter, if it gets hot instantly your starter is toast.

if thats the case you can take it to a starter-generator bla bla rebuild shop and they can rebuild it. Good Luck....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2004, 10:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Good point bigdaddy.

Also check to make sure everything is grounded real well. SLIM said his did the same thing and it was from paint in between the ground and the flywheel cover.

The starter is a small pain to get out. If you pull the oil line off the clutch side case, the two bolts that hold the starter, and the gear off the end of the starer it will come out. DO NOT lose the clip off the starter shaft down into the cases.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I cleaned mine mostly with a rag. You can clean the pickups (I don't know what they are really called) with fine sand paper if they are real bad dirty....you'll know what to do when you see in there. If you can get an extra set of hands to put it back together you will be VERY thankfull!!!

Old 03-20-2004, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Am I gonna have to pull the tank and carbs to get it out? Also, the starter gear, is that under the starter cover, will I have to take that off?

Old 03-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Carbs can stay on I think. I did mine with the Lectron so I can't say for sure, but I had room.

Yes the gear that needs to come off is under that cover with the four 8mm bolts in it. Sometimes that cover doesn't seal back very well. I used Yamabond on it and it worked.

Old 03-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thats another prime spot to look at, the ground cable @ the frame, Good point ward...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. Check all ground cables for breaks or corrosion.

Old 03-20-2004, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

I mentioned in my first post that I checked all the connections...thats not a problem, but thanks!

Old 03-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah i read that, my point is to check your cables for unseen breaks in all cables corrosion, electrolysis ect ect....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2004, 10:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bigdaddy660R
electroysis ect ect....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Isn't that a hair removal process?.?.? I think my wife was looking into it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] LOL

I missed that in your first post.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Alright guys...heres my update. I took off the starter and cleaned it good, it's still in pretty good shape and was to crazy dirty but it did need a little cleaning. Still doesn't start though, the only way we can get it to turn over is to bypass the sylinoid. The only thing that happens when I hit the start button is the sylinoid clicks once and nothing else. We checked to see if there is any voltage getting to the starter when I hit the button and there is non. The thing I don't understand is that sylinoids don't usually go bad slowly they usually just stop working (because of the internal fuse) but it seemed like this problem was getting worse. The battery is holding a charge but not a strong one and when I hit the start button (after bypassing the sylinoid) it takes the battery voltage from about 13 (I know, not totally charged) to about 10...this seems to be a problem too, I donno if it's a bad battery or something else. The drop in voltage from the battery is whats making it turn over slowly...I'm confused big time! My sylinoid still isnt here, should be here tomorrow or the next day...I'm thinking this might be the problem but I'm not completly sure yet...

Please help me out guys, I need to get this fixed by Thurs for a big camping trip! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thanks!

Old 03-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

Got the sylinoid and it worked! Now at least the bike turns over and starts except that it's still not having enough juice to turn it over. I just bought a new battery so I assume it's good but I'm starting to have my doubts. If I hook a charger up to the battery and let it charge the bike starts right up but if I take the charger off it usually starts the first time but the second time I try it just doesn't have enough to turn it passed the compression stroke. These are symptoms of a bad battery, anyone have anyother opinions on what might be the problem?

Quick Reply: Starting problem on Rappy