Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ohh man oil change help!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ohh man oil change help!!!!!!!!

oo wow buddy I had my servise manual before i had my quad so i knew what i was doing! Ive changed oil before many many times on my kawasaki prarie! I did absolutley everything right on my raptor! The tank cracked, probably due to riding it for a long time because it is an 01 modle with god knows how many hours on it so i guess after so many hours everything goes doesn't it? I take care of my quad as much as i can it is always clean!! It just psses you off that when you buy it used and looks like everything is nice then it all breaks. So dont yell at me. what is the point?

Old 03-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

does someone need a hug? , snowbuster u need to calm down buddy, ppl arent perfect they do screw up sometimes u kno?

Old 03-22-2004, 08:53 PM
Range Rover

Sorry snowbuster but before you really know what you are talking about you should leave people alone, thats how people learn by trying and either doing it right or making mistakes. The oil filter on a raptor is like an automotive type filter. Theres nothing wrong with changing your oil too much. If you ride alot change it often. I would also like to see where your book says change the oil every year. Seems like an awful long time to leave the oil in.

Old 03-22-2004, 08:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: snowbuster
U obviously don’t know what you’re doing, your dad should be mad at you. One, your only suppose to change the oil after the first 20 hours. Main reason is because of the break in period.
lol after 20 hours for your first change?
dam i changed mine after 30 minutes... and will change it about 3-4 times before i even hit 20...
after that i will probably change it 3 times a month...
sounds to me like you dont know what your doing...

Old 03-22-2004, 09:09 PM
Range Rover

Depending on how hard i ride I change mine about every 20 hours. My first change was around 10 hours. Id rather be safe then sorry.

Old 03-22-2004, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hozed
Originally posted by: snowbuster
U obviously don’t know what you’re doing, your dad should be mad at you. One, your only suppose to change the oil after the first 20 hours. Main reason is because of the break in period.
lol after 20 hours for your first change?
dam i changed mine after 30 minutes... and will change it about 3-4 times before i even hit 20...
after that i will probably change it 3 times a month...
sounds to me like you dont know what your doing...
well i would ahve no damn idea how long u wait till the first one, after break in. cuzz i never broke in my quad. i baught it used and i change it every 600 miles. u would change your oil 3 times a month? how often do u ride and for how long? i really would liek to know. and is your quad stock or did u do a complete rebuild? and did u guys (yes, im yelling and pissed as all hell) take that serriously? oh please. and in my manual it does say the first oil change would be after 20 hours, so slowworrior, but before you really know what you are talking about you should leave people alone.

Old 03-23-2004, 07:16 PM
Range Rover

Well kid, Im sure I know alot more about things then you do. And really I dont know what you are talking about all I said is I would like to see where it says you change your oil once a year(if its every 600 miles and it took a year to get to that so be it). If you had 600 hard miles of mudding and water I would change it more often then that. Once again though if I rode alot and rode hard I would definately change my oil all the time. I change my oil after 2 trips to the dunes(or 2 trips period) of about 2-3 days of riding a piece, I dont ride much around home. Like people have said its cheaper for oil then it is a rebuilt motor.

This forum isnt about ripping people for making a mistake. Which was an honest mistake, its about helping people with things. Now thats not to say some people dont deserve a good rip on here (like the guy that didnt know how to put his raptor in reverse and if he needed to have his Raptor running to put it in reverse, not to say you couldnt do it without having it running but what would be the point?????)and there but those are few and far between theres alot of people that know there crap on here. Read and learn!

Old 03-23-2004, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

well i guess the reason were like, i know more thna u... bnlah blah blah is because i dont think u need to change your oil that often. and to me changing it every couple of rides seems like a waist of money to me. and u know what. i have no friggen idea how much u know about quads but its takes some ignorence to think u know more than others. and i never said i knew more than u, i jsut said u were wrong about what u thought. so chill

Old 03-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Range Rover

Well everyone has there opinions on topics like this about changing oil and how often or even what kind for that matter. My real point of all my posting is he came here looking for advise because he didnt know what to do. So instead of trying to help you rip the kid. Now obviously you dont like me getting into you crap either so I think I proved my point. I mean he could have ended up being like some people im sure go and get there oil changed. Which isnt that bad either but by doing it yourself you learn and you save money, sometimes you just have to learn things the hard way though.

Sorry if I offend you guys by calling you kids also I dont really know your ages Im just assuming you guys are younger.

Old 03-24-2004, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider

SLOWWARRIOR

What's that red thing with the hood scoop in the background? Some kind of muscle car? I have a 68 SS Chevelle with a 502 big block(tire shredding torque.) PM me if you wish.

Quick Reply: ohh man oil change help!!!!!!!!