Old 03-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ohh man oil change help!!!!!!!!

I just changed the oil and did this
-drained the crank drain bolt
-the ressie drain bolt
-the oil filter (i changed it)

okay am i missing somthing? i put in 2 bottles of oil and i put the bolts back in and i thought everything was going great so far, until i realised that it was dripping from the oil ressie drain bolt. so i tightened it a little bit and it was still dripping. then i think i saw it oosing out of the little foam peice that connects the ressie to the frame and it still kept on comming out!!!! what is wrong? could it be cracked? i have no clue!!!! My dad is mad that i changed the oil in the first place because it was 20 hours arn't you supposed to change it every 20 hours or am i wrong? Thanks for your help!! -Matt-

Old 03-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

anyone help i have an 01 Raptor!!!! and its leaking so badly do you think i coulda cracked the tank or somthing?

Old 03-21-2004, 07:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either you cracked the tank or you have some dirt on the drain plug washer. I ALWAYS use a torque wrench on the drain plug, the tanks crack pretty easy.

Old 03-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

U obviously don’t know what you’re doing, your dad should be mad at you. One, your only suppose to change the oil after the first 20 hours. Main reason is because of the break in period. Two, I suggest just to change you roil again since u missed something. Have your dad help u with it this time so u don’t skip over anything, like o-rings, or washers. And btw don’t turn those bolts to hard. They snap right off. And maybe u put the oil filter on backwards, but it’s pretty easy to realize if it is. It says right on the outside witch side faces witch way.

Old 03-21-2004, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: snowbuster
U obviously don’t know what you’re doing, your dad should be mad at you. One, your only suppose to change the oil after the first 20 hours. Main reason is because of the break in period. Two, I suggest just to change you roil again since u missed something. Have your dad help u with it this time so u don’t skip over anything, like o-rings, or washers. And btw don’t turn those bolts to hard. They snap right off. And maybe u put the oil filter on backwards, but it’s pretty easy to realize if it is. It says right on the outside witch side faces witch way.
Leave him alone. He needs to learn himself sometime. The only way you r3eally learn is try yourself. Thats mt theory. There is proboly dirt on your drain plug washer. Good luck and hope to here your running smooth agian

Old 03-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

I know pretty much what im doing. How can you put the filter on backwords? it only screwes in one way! My dad has no clue about anything on the raptor he doesn't even know how to ride it, so therefor he cant help me. The oil is seeping threw somthing (i have no clue what) above the drain bolt on the tank ressivoir so im wondering if the tanks are prone to cracking there? Is there a washer that goes on the ressie drain bolt? -Matt-

Old 03-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: snowbuster
I would change the oil more soon then 20 hrs if its the first one, this is a critical time to pay attention to your oil. You dont want any flakes/ shavings in your oil for 20 hrs. I changed my oil (tranny and engine) after a half tank in my new 450 and i will do the same after i finish the first tank. After you break it in and your sure all the shavings are out of the oil its good to change it every 20 hrs or more frequently if your picky like me.

Take it easy on the kid, everyone learns from their mistakes.

Old 03-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with roughrider. The first hour or two of riding is when the majority of the flakes and shavings are going to be deposited into your oil. A couple quarts of oil are alot cheaper than a bottom end rebuild 3 weeks after your warranty runs out.

Old 03-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes, there is a washer. The torque setting is 18ft lbs the case drain bolts torque is 22lbs. Don't over tighten and always clean the washers before reinstalling. The portion of the tank that the drain bolt screws into is prone to cracking where it meets the base of the tank. Both my Raptors have cracked there. Mine has an aftermarket tank now, the other was cleaned up and has high temp scilicone around the base until funds become available to replace the tank with an aftermarket one.

Old 03-21-2004, 07:43 PM
Range Rover

yes the tank are prone to cracking around the drain and there should be a washer between the tank and the bolt. The washer is make out of softer metal so it will seal you hafe to have it.

Quick Reply: ohh man oil change help!!!!!!!!