Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

nitrous additive to gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous additive to gas

It does nothing at all. It's just octane boost disguised in a NOS looking blue or red bottle. Might raise your RON 1 pt. Pure gimmick. Get gace gas for your quad if you need more octane.

Nitrous Oxide is completely different from what they are trying to sell you. It is not a petroleum type liquid, but a bottle of Oxygen with Nitrogen mixed in for chemical bonding, pressurized to 1000 PSI.

Old 03-24-2004, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

Try nitro methane frome your local hobbie store. It's rca car fuel and will add 10% more hp to your quad. (You must mix and rejet)

What you guys need to read is that he's riding a Warrior so I don't think he is going to go that fast anyway. No offence but running a utility/sport quad is not for speed any how. You can gain a whole lot more by shaving weight off the Warrior. I'm not being smug, after all I ride the Raptors and they weigh a ton also.

Old 03-24-2004, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

QUICK STORY...I DROPPED A BOTTLE INTO MY LIMITED LATE MODEL STOCK CAR GAS TANK AND DURING THE RACE IT WENT ***** OUT DOWN THE BACK STRAIGHT, THEN GRENADED...I HAD ALOT OF MONEY IN THAT ENGINE...IT EVEN BROKE THE BALANCER ON THE MOTOR,BUT IT WENT REALLY FAST...AFTER A LITTLE GARAGE STUDYING,I FIGURED OUT THE KLOTZ DOES NOT LIKE TO MIX WITH 112 OCTANE...I PUT THE KLOTZ IN A GLASS GATORADE BOTTLE WITH THE C-12(112 OCTANE) AND SHOOK IT...IT ALL SETTLED TO THE BOTTOM AFTER A FEW MINUTES....NEVER REALLY STAYED MIXED,YOU COULD SEE IT...SO DOWN THE BACK STRAIGHT IT SUCKED UP THE CAN AND WENT BANG...OH WELL ,LESSON LEARNED ..THE SPECIFIC GRAVITY OF RACE GAS IS LESS THEN HIGH TEST (92 OR 93 OCTANE). KLOTZ MIXES GREAT WITH HIGH TEST AND STAYS MIXED..I USED TO USE IT IN MY 200X WITH A 12-1 PISTON...NEVER HAD A PROBLEM SEEMED TO HAUL ...I PLAYED WITH THE NITRO FUEL FROM HOBBY STORES IN VARIOUS CONCENTRATIONS..IT TENDS TO BURN REAL COLD, DUE TO THE METHENOL THAT ITS MIXED WITH...ALSO PLAYED WITH PROPOLENE OXIDE, IT CONCENTRATES MORE OXYGEN IN THE FUEL..(ABOUT $50 A GALLON I THINK)HURTS OCTANE LEVELS SO BUY RACE GAS,AT LEAST 100 OCTANE...ALWAYS TRY ANY OF THIS STUFF ON THE LAWN EDGER FIRST AND MAKE SURE IT MIXES WELL BEFORE THAT....THE BRIGGS IS VERY TOUGH AND A GOOD TEST BENCH....THIS WAS JUST MY EXPERIENCE ON THE TRACK,THE LAWN, AND IN THE GARAGE...GOOD LUCK...

Old 03-25-2004, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I dont know who told you Nitromethane burns cold . alcahol burns cold not Nitromethane dont confuse it with nitrous oxide .

What is the chemical symbol for nitrous oxide? Of course, everyone knows (or is reminded) that it is N2O - that is, two atoms of Nitrogen coupled to one atom of Oxygen. Injected in with the normal gasoline (the hydro-carbon chain), the molecule is (basically - don't get all weird and technical on me, we're generalizing a bit here for space purposes) split apart and the extra oxygen atom is released to burn, baby burn. Extra oxygen (plus the supporting extra hydro-carbons) equals more power. Agreed?

Now, let's take a look at that representation of the nitromethane molecule at the top of the page. Pretty little thing, isn't it? What is it's chemical makeup? CH3NO2. Let's see, the first part, CH3, is the hydro-carbon chunk, so there's our "gasoline" (again, not really, but close enough for this purpose). Now, take a look at the second part, NO2. Looks kinda familiar doesn't it? Only this time, we have TWO atoms of Oxygen and only ONE nasty Nitrogen atom to throw away (or burn, or whatever). Hmmm, twice as much Oxygen as nitrous oxide, huh? That's GOT to be A Good Thing, right? That's one of the secrets of nitromethane as a fuel: There's a BUNCH of power just waiting to cackle out. And the more fuel you can run through the motor, the more power it's going to make. But that's a topic for another discussion.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:10 AM
Range Rover

Turbo33,

You can make anything run good. Nitrous made my so called "No Speed Utility Bike" run like a spotted *** ape. I know the 400ex's run good, and i busted one of them with ease. In my eyes its a great trail bike but it CAN RUN if you do the right things to it.

Old 03-25-2004, 08:12 AM
Pro Rider

It's not rocket science.....they tell you to go up 4 jet sizes, that alone should tell you it works..

more gas more power.

How many jet sizes did you go up when you add that $300-$500 pipe?

Use at your own risk, good luck.

Old 03-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Trailblazer

alright here goes....i bought a bottle of it and yes it was the klotz and i did re-jet, but i didnt retard the timing two degress because i dont think you can on a warrior....any way i just put in 4 oz with one gallon and it did work....the accleration was alot better and there was a deffinate sweet smell coming out of the exhaust....im almost afraid though to use the rest cause the guy at the pro shop said you have to be real careful when using it because you can fry a piston in no time.....also it say you have to use a colder spark plug...well where do i get one...currently i am using ngk d8ea spark plug in mine....anyway my results were really good...its deffinalty worth the ten bucks a bottle.....just have to be careful with it

Old 03-25-2004, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

thats cool man! You can get a colder spark plug at your local pepboys, autozone, kragen

Old 03-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have heard many reports that the Klotz stuff works well.

Lawndragster, I think you need a disclaimer for your post. I can see somebody getting a coke bottle of nitro from their "buddy" who races and pooring it into their gas tank, jetting up four sizes, and lunching a motor.....then you know who they will call.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Shotgun, your on gas right? Is this a class thing, or by choice? Have you ever tried any of the other additives?

Old 03-25-2004, 11:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

You people that want to play around with Nitromethane, be aware. Nitromethane does not mix with gasoline. If your on alky, you can add as much as you want until it blows your motor in a zillion pieces. If your on gas, you have to do some tricks or your going to have problems. You will have to mix your nitro with alky and then you can put it in gas without having it faze separate. Remember, you can only go about 15% in average weather. If it's colder, you have to cut the mix down or it will faze seperate and your motor will get a big drink of alky/nitro mix and then you will run over your crank!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Also remember nitro is damn near impossible to get to light off. In large amounts, you have to have a blow torch of an ignition set-up to the flame started.
Also remember that nitromethane has very low BTU's/lb. So like other people said already, jet up, or suffer melt-down.
One last thing. Nitro is very low octane, so keep your eye on your plugs and look for detonation.

Quick Reply: nitrous additive to gas