Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor 1st to 2nd shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor 1st to 2nd shift

I'm always hitting neutral in the 1st to 2nd shift on my Rappy. The shift throw seems long and clunky. Really have to jerk my leg up to get into 2nd gear. Any insight on this? It is an '01 with stock trans.

Thanks

Old 03-22-2004, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe you need to adjust the linkage on your shifter? Just my guess.

Old 03-22-2004, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

get a direct shifter, like the ones from IMS for around $20-$30

Old 03-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Range Rover

I had a Roll Control shifter but it did not help. Seems like it's the tranny. 3rd and up gears shift with just a twitch of the ankle.

Old 03-22-2004, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

wow mine too i have the exact probs i just live with it is there really somthing wrong with the tranny?????

Old 03-22-2004, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

I think it all boils down to the sloppy linkage set-up. I had similar problems with mine. As soon as I added the direct shifter I never had that problem again...

Old 03-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

It could be the tranny. Right before my tranny went it was really hard shifting in 1st and 2nd. Have you ever not been able to shift, where everything just seems to lock up and then in a few seconds it will shift again? If it has, it is most likely the tranny.

Old 03-22-2004, 10:13 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: HiFlyinRaptorRyder
It could be the tranny. Right before my tranny went it was really hard shifting in 1st and 2nd. Have you ever not been able to shift, where everything just seems to lock up and then in a few seconds it will shift again? If it has, it is most likely the tranny.
What do you mean by "Lock Up"?

Old 03-22-2004, 11:24 PM
Range Rover

sometimes my tranny when i dont really hammer it into gear it will sit there and just grind away, kinda like in a car. and then i have to bump it up and it goes in. i got a 2002 raptor and i thought the 2001's only had the tranny problems...... i bought it and i have done nothing but put in new bearings and everything everywhare... i think the guy before me beat it preaty good.... no wonder i got it for 3800. but i guess u get what u pay for....

Old 03-23-2004, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: fizzak
Originally posted by: HiFlyinRaptorRyder
What do you mean by "Lock Up"?
I mean lock up as in nothing will move. This happened to me mostly in second, it would lock up in second, and not shift up or down, I pulled as hard as i could on the shifter, while rocking it and while moving, nothing would get it to come out of second. Sometimes after a couple minutes it would just start shifting fine again and sometimes I would have to jump and land hard and that would usually do it. The reason it locks up is because the dogs that break off of 2nd gear get jammed in the gears and shift forks and wont let anything move. The bad thing is is that usually only one dog breaks off at a time, and it will still run right and you wont know you have a piece of metal getting throw around in your bottom end. That is exactly what happened to me, the tranny didnt go until the last dog broke off, so for a couple months i had had pieces of metal in my engine, some of which had broken teeth off the oil pump gear. Another couple rides and I wouldnt have had enough teeth to turn the gear. No oil pump gear=no oil pump=very bad news. Hope this helps you understand...

Quick Reply: Raptor 1st to 2nd shift