Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor really tippy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 09:13 PM
RIP Dear Friend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor really tippy?

Originally posted by: AlphaRaptor660R
I've never had a problem with tippyness...Its all about body-english...
No, but what happens if you only speak german.

Old 03-23-2004, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

well u shouldnt have to worrie about tippyness to much im 13 and i'v been riding quads since 5 years old and my problem on a raptor is that it tends to wipe me off the back alot im about 160 5'11 and the rappy throws me around

Old 03-23-2004, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RAPTORYFM660r
Originally posted by: AlphaRaptor660R
I've never had a problem with tippyness...Its all about body-english...
No, but what happens if you only speak german.

Than I guess you'll just have to tip on over!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2004, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

I think dude had it right, most people don't give it enough gas while sliding because the shear power scares them, and they are afraid it will stand up on them. Riding a Raptor will only make you a better rider.

Old 03-23-2004, 11:11 PM
Range Rover

Well, my experience is that they arent that tippy.... u feel top heavy, and when u take corners too fast u might get up on 2 tires... They made the raptor narrower cause of how the swing arm is angled, so the stock rear axle could handle jumping, cause the way it angles most of the time the axle takes the impact, not the shock. if i were you, i would invest in a wider axle and new tires. i put on those things, and it feels like a whole new machine, i feel alot better about fast corners, and it also looks alot better when it is wider. if you arent going to be doing the big freestyle jumps, u can probly get away with wheel spacers which are alot cheaper

Old 03-23-2004, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

In my opinion,it not really tippy just more tippy than other quads,Ive been on two wheels by accident a couple of times but Ive never flipped,all you gotta do is counter-steer,if you cant control it you shouldnt have a raptor...Mines road legal and heads tend to turn when you powerslide around a round-about twice,LOL!

Old 03-24-2004, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

I own a Raptor and I got mine after I bought my DS. It is VERY tippy. Coming off a wide machine and wanting to slide, I damn near rolled it first time I took it to the MX track. I'm sure aftermarket tires will help, but it's topheavyness and narrow stance make it the tippyest quad I ever rode. It's defintely not the best slider. You may want to widen it with a-arms and axles.

Old 03-24-2004, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Putting on wide offset aftermarket rims will cure the tippiness. I have them on my sand tires and they make the quad substantially wider. For the woods I like it narrow as it fits between the trees alot better as well as the bridges. I did ride on an MX track this last weekend and the quad was way too narrow for that, I definitely was hampered by its width.

Old 03-24-2004, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

If you think your Raptor is not tippy, hop on a YFZ. You can just crank the bars at any speed and it stays stuck to the ground. When you get back on your Raptor after that it will feel like it's ready to just fall over.

Flipping the front rims makes a big dif on the Rap though, worth doing.

Old 03-24-2004, 01:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: ShadyRascal
If you think your Raptor is not tippy, hop on a YFZ. You can just crank the bars at any speed and it stays stuck to the ground. When you get back on your Raptor after that it will feel like it's ready to just fall over.

Flipping the front rims makes a big dif on the Rap though, worth doing.
I did jump on the yfz. It feels like you are sitting on top of the quad, kind of a luggage rack on the top of a van or suv. The raptor has a higher seat height and it is tippier, but it isnt tippy to the point of it being a problem. Like many have said, a new set of rear tires goes a long way. Dont the yfz's have the banshee tires as well? The raptor dunlops hook up way too much for powersliding.

Quick Reply: Raptor really tippy?