Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Any tips or tricks for adjusting Raptor valves?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips or tricks for adjusting Raptor valves?

I am going to try adjusting the valves on both of my Raptors this weekend.

I was wondering if there are any tips or tricks that make the job easier for a novice mechanic like myself?

Also, do I need any parts from the dealer such as new gaskets, etc.?

Should I change the oil after I complete the valve adjustment?

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Range Rover

Well Raptor Tranny website has a good write up on it. Gives you step by step instructions. Just make sure you have the right size feeler gauges. Also what i did was I bent the tips of them to get them in easier. For most cases that I have read and seen so far intakes get tighter and the exhausts are in spec. So be really careful to check the exhuasts before you mess with them because those ones can be a pain, Ive done 3 different Raptors and all were in spec on exhaust. I found that you need a small bend of the feeler gauge tip to get it into the circle opening for the adjustment. Also what I do is when i get the feel i want i leave the feeler gauge in gap to help keep the adjuster from spinning while tightening the nut. MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON TDC. Just for rechecking always roll the motor over a few times and go back to TDC and check them again. Oh yeah, one last thing take the plug out and it will make the motor roll over easier.

There are no new gaskets needed unless you screw something up because all the covers are o-ringed not gaskets. Just make sure the sufaces and o-rings dont have any dirt on or in them. So unless you break something or something is broke for some reason there shouldnt be any reason to need something from the dealer.

Changing the oil is strictly up to you. I dont see an absolute need to unless its close to needing to be done. Also I guess most guys do this as a part of an oil change/maintenance.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Outstanding info.

Thanks!