Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ATV Connection Review of the Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2000, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought here guys...In the review they said it would do "about" 75; it doesn't indicate that they used a radar gun to pinpoint it exactly. It appears that there is some "guesstamations" going on here. I get the feeling that the reviewers didn't have as much time to evaluate the machine as they would have wanted. It would be interesting to see how the raptor would do in a more lengthy drag race, such as the 200 yards that Yamaha talks about. I'd be willing to say that the longer the distance, the more space this machine puts between it and the competition. After looking at a cutaway of the head pipes and muffler, I think that it may have some major potential for added power with a well designed performance pipe. I also think that venting the airbox lid along with a K&N and some rejetting is going to make a big difference. Can't wait to do both to mine. I have a real hard time leaving anything stock! After reading the tests that have been done so far, I am only more convinced that this is going to be a spectacular quad. I have a difficult time finding anything significant to be dissappointed about. If it does have anything slightly wrong with it, I will find means to correct the quirk, just like I did with my banshee, which is now an absolutely awesome machine. We will all undoubtedly be well rewarded for our wait, starting next month...I'm so stoked I can hardly stand it! A BIG thumbs up to Yamaha for raising the standard in the performance ATV ranks!

Old 07-16-2000, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

that's some pretty heavy math.

I was bored so i redid you calculations..you lost a .5 from "4166.6 divided by 3.076= -->1354.5<--
-->1354<-- divided by .904= 1498.3 axle revolutions per minute"

it's comes out as 88.51 not no big difference..i figured i'd show everyone just because i failed math i'm not a total moron

Old 07-16-2000, 02:10 AM
Pro Rider

On all the gearing math that I rolled out there, power loss really wouldn't come into play. The gears ratios are not variable like they would be with a variable speed transmission or some hydraulic trannys. An exception to this would be if the clutch would not lock up on the manual transmission or the riding surface would not provide enough traction to prevent slippage.

Instead, the power loss would be indicated by the starting RPM that was entered into the figures. I used 8700 rpm just in case it wouldn't pull to the rev limiter.

Thanks for catching the error in my math. I figured there would be a lot more than that because I've been awake right at 24 hours.

Old 07-16-2000, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

I wasn't sure about power loss.

I've been at it awhile too, i have my late night every 5 minute board checks!

Old 07-16-2000, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

It probably won't matter to people who ride in tighter areas, but out here where horsepower reigns supreme, and people go to the dunes, they will want "the fastest." I am not trying to make anyone mad, but Yamaha said it will smoke everything out there and at least one unbiased source claims that is not even close to true. Are we going to see an additional 20 ponies out of a 45-50 horse motor? Not without serious cash expenditure. If you like it, ride it. I am still undecided.

Old 07-16-2000, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

Actually, a Banshee runs better in the longer drags, it just doesn't have the extreme top end speed of a DS. You have to remember that this new Raptor is not competing with a stock Banshee or DS. There are modified machines everywhere waiting to line up on a Raptor. Even if it is not the fastest, it will still sell very well. Look at the 400EX and even the 300EX. In the face of much faster machines they still sell like gangbusters. My post about some deposits being returned was directed at people who will probably turn around and get a Banshee. There is a dealer in AZ who sold 60 Banshees in 2 months. Not because of they handle great, but because they offer great performance per dollar, once you figure in some pipes. I can't wait to see one in person. By the way, anyone in AZ want to sell their Banshee? I'm in the market.

Old 07-16-2000, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Another thing that you guys might be overlooking is its acceleration. The factory might and probably does have a speed limiter set on this quad, from pressure of their attorneys, to keep the top-end reasonable (to them). But, how fast it gets there will probably blow our minds.

I would be willing to bet we'll see alot of the 660R quads on the GNCC circuit next year. An aftermarket exhaust and air filter, and new Axis front shocks, and I bet this quad would be competitive on the Pro level for woods riding.

Old 07-16-2000, 06:27 PM
Range Rover

NOTE FROM ATVBBS:

Duplicate topics deleted. Please modify profile, editing special effects from signature.

atvbbs

--------------------------

I smell a very conservative review here. ATV Action tested the **** outta this quad...evidently way more than these guys. This is a QUOTE - it does to the DS650 , what a DS does to a 400EX. PERIOD. Im willing to bet that a stock banshee cannot win in a legit drag...not some 50 yard outta the gate run. From what they said, it looks like thats what it was...a hole shot competition basically.

Ridzhard...Ive followed your pessimistic comments for a while, because you have some very relevant views...and I respect them. It seems you are jumping every detail you can find to bash this thing. ATV ACtion has the full shoot out next issue, and it "includes" the BAnshee...so lets wait and see. I "PROMISE" better numbers than this Websites review.
I dont know why they even reviewed it, if they werent gonna do a ***** to the walls test. Pure fact, no guessing, no estimates, no "opinion". Just raw fact. Thats what I wanna see. ATV ACtion will be thorough you can bet on that.

My view is...even "if" it only matched the acceleration and speed of the Banshee ( which is wrong), but handles like a 400EX or better... WHAMMO - you got awesome. What else do ya want.

And for the lack of low end power ?? ( not what the other reviews say). I think their numbers are missleading. They say at "a couple hundred rpm's". WHAT ??? But once past the 200 rpm above idle mark, look out !! Ive never in a million years heard that one. If you touch the throttle, ever so gently, the rpms are higher than that. What were they doin...tryin not to spin out on a pile of marbles ? lol... Wait for ATV Actions shootout coming reallllll soon.

Also, the Raptor exaust is packed and "fully" spark arrested. There is some H.p if ya want it.
And the review "did" state that when the Raptor got a good start...it ALWAYS won..and that was a "short" drag.
Starts are probably tough on this beast...thats all. Get used to that, and your gonna be unbeatable.

Cya all !

Old 07-16-2000, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, what Weibz said!

I agree 100% with you on that one. I also thought the couple of hundred RPM comment was a little strange. I've never heard of any type of vehicle being judged as poor because at idle it didn't produce enough torque to spin the tires. It almost sounds like the "testers" are used to automatics. I've got a Banshee and have an extremely hard time believing that you have to rev the Raptor as much or more to get off to a roll than on my Banshee.

It seems that a lot of the good things that they said about it was a quasi quote from either the Yamaha website, Dirt Wheels or ATV Action or some old cliche.

Notice the contradictions.

"More adept at aggressive trail riding than full race banzai action, we found it to be very comfortable and controlled while handling nearly anything thrown at it with comfortand poise."

[and]

"Compared to the DS 650 front suspension, the Raptor seems to be a little behind for track use but much more agreeable for trail use."

[Then they write]

"It's violently fast......" "Anyone can hop on
and instantly feel comfortable and confident in tackling anything."

[also, they state the following]

There is not that much power available right off the git-go, but a few hundred RPM's later, gobs of torque become readily available. When attempting very low RPM maneuvers, deft clutchwork will help resist stalling due to the light flywheel mass.

(Then they write)

The clutch also seems to hold up well to abuse
and fading though with so much torque on tap there really is no need for tapping the clutch.

It sounds like they read everyone else's review and then tried to pick them apart, combine them and guess at the rest.

The only thing this review might do is help me move up from 3rd in line to buy one to first or second!

Old 07-16-2000, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

I thought I'd share an email from a gentleman who had the chance to ride a Raptor for a while. I have deleted personal information from it because it was not intended to use as a post to a message board.

I asked the following:
(identity removed),

One guy was claiming that the raptor could bring the front wheels into the air in any gear (providing you are at the right speed to allow it to do so). I know that from brute force (not clutching it), my banshee will only do that in 3rd. Does the Raptor seem to have the explosive type of power that the Banshee does? Enough to loft the front tires in higher gears?

Thanks for a reply, I've got one on order and have little patience. Little tid bits are all I'll have to go for a while.

Best Regards
(bash on atvconnection)
This is the reply that I got:

Hi (Bash), given the riding conditions, speed etc.. Your Raptor should pull top gear wheelies with ease, the shift from third to fourth is no problem. The Banshee has a very soft bottom end and 'explodes' because the power is abundant within a narrow power band. The Raptor has gobs of torque throughout a long wide power band and flat out pulls hard at every RPM right up to 9000. I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the stock power (and it is in a mild state of tune). It will be interesting to see what some after market tuning will do.. overall gearing is another discussion. Depending where you ride you may want to go up or down a tooth on the countershaft.
First is too high for clutchless technical riding, but I think it could pull an even higher cog for more top speed (desert riding) with a sacrifice to
initial take off. The Raptor is kind of easy to stall at first until you get used to the power pulses, you'll learn quickly to short shift in the tight stuff and let the motor do the work.. enjoy (identity removed)
I thought some of you might enjoy a real experience review from someone who had absolutely nothing to gain (except my thanks) by giving me his thoughts on it.

Quick Reply: ATV Connection Review of the Raptor