Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Riding boots...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding boots...

I'm gonna try out my new boots this weekend and was wondering how long it took you guys to get used to shifting with them on, I tried them on and jumped on my rappy and I couldn't even get my boot under the shifter. I had to move it up but I still couldn't really shift right...How long did it take you guys to get good with them?

Old 03-25-2004, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Riding boots...

It will take you a few times of riding but you'll get used to it. Move the shifted if you need but the comfort is the most important part.

Old 03-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Riding boots...

after a few hours of wearing them, my A-star tech 4's flexed quite nicely to shift...perfectly comfortable as well.

Old 03-25-2004, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer
Default Riding boots...

Wear your boots around the house for 2 days to brake them in. Bend them a lot and lift your heel up. that will help.

Old 03-25-2004, 08:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Riding boots...

Yeah I have thor boots, they took a while to get broke in...but now they work well. I wouldn't ride without them. You'll get used to it.

Old 03-25-2004, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Riding boots...

I'll tell you the easy way to get any brand new boot to work for you the first day out... shift w/o your boot on the peg. Lift the pedal w/ the top of your foot NOT using the peg as a pivot point. Sound weird? Only for about 20 minutes then it's as if you've been riding that way for years.

When you go to shift, (this is exagerated to make a point):

lift your foot off the peg
point/aim your toes for the space between the shift pedal and peg
lift the pedal w/ the top of the boot and in back of where you toes connect to your feet

It takes only a fraction of a second to do this and you'll end up with much more positive shifts because you'll actually feel them. Don't worry 'bout moving the lever/pedal up or whatever. Just practice what I said and you'll be fine. By the time your boots are broken in, you really won't care, cause you'll have this technique down.

BTW: I learned that from on of the best MX coaches/trainers on the planet and it's been habit ever since.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default Riding boots...

Check out my pictures I wear size 13 pro/formas they were as stiff as a dead carp when I bought them . there getting better . But I added 2" to my shifter and it is sweet . I have taken it out and stomped and kicked it works great so far

Old 03-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Riding boots...

i had to move my shifter up. it took about two or three rides was all to get use to them. now i wont ride no matter what without them. a must i think for all atv riders.

Old 03-26-2004, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Riding boots...

Listen to YamRaptor...i wear my new boots around the house for a couple of weeks where and when i can.

Ie: doing yard work...cleaning the quad. the little bit of water you'll get on them from cleaning your quad or the yard assists the break in process greatly.

Old 03-27-2004, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer
Default Riding boots...

I agree with the water tip. I always soak brand new boots in the bath tub for a few minutes and then drain the water out and wear them for a couple hours. Most boots have leather so once you take them off and they dry they will be formed better to your foot and ankle shape. You will also need to walk and flex them for a little while as well.

Quick Reply: Riding boots...