Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ--Will I be happy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 05:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ--Will I be happy?

My next quad is still several months away. It's going to be primarily a dune quad. I want the honest truth. Is the YFZ too stiff and MX oriented to be an all day dune machine? It will never see a track. I kinda thought I was going to buy the KFX-700, but it's still several months away, and now I'm reconsidering. I sit here reading about how dang fast the YFZ is, well heck, maybe I won't be happy unless I buy the racing flagship.

Old 03-26-2004, 06:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

it isnt the most comfortable machine out there by far... when i rode all day last sunday it didnt feel bad... and that was the first time i really rode it.

Old 03-26-2004, 07:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

i personnlay think its a deadly machine, even though the reverse is missed, and as he said its not THE most comfortable out there, but as youve read in many things the YZF is coming out on top of all new quads out there (IE trx 450, z 400, 400 ex) you get the picture

Old 03-26-2004, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WileyCoyote
It's going to be primarily a dune quad. I want the honest truth. Is the YFZ too stiff and MX oriented to be an all day dune machine?
I guess that depends upon who you talk to... some simple mods and gearing make the YFZ a sweet machine for the sand - that's nearly the only place I ride mine. I use my wife's for/on the trails.

Old 03-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Range Rover

Selector

Why in your signature do you have South Valley Motor Sports Sux bigtime.

The reason I ask is I am from the Ogden area and we dont have a decent dealership out of the lot. I was going to start looking in the Salt Lake area to try and establish a relationship with a decent dealer. Would like to find one that once you buy something from him he remembers you...I havent seen anything like the dealerships in this area. Try to get out of warranty work...everything is your fault...and jumps all over the fact that they give you 10% off merchandise that is 30% higher then what is offered online. Sorry, starting to rant...who do you deal with now and what do you think of them.

Old 03-26-2004, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

from what you've described so far (riding type) i'd say got get a z-dvx-Ktx 400 or the new Honda TRX. if you truly don't care about having the #1 quad out there and most of all, listening to all the posts bragging about the YFZ. then get one of the above. they are all nice quads and will treat you nice in the trails and dunes. or you could get a YFZ...take the seat to an upolsterer (<<< is that a word?) and add some more cush for ya tush. should'nt cost much. probably like $30-$40.

have'nt you seen the commercials for the Z400. it's such a dune king. they'll fly you and your z into glamis in a helicopter....and you jump the quad out over a dune. Now thats factory support.

Old 03-26-2004, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bosox07
Selector

Why in your signature do you have South Valley Motor Sports Sux bigtime.
Because they suck Big Time!

Would like to find one that once you buy something from him he remembers you...
* Would you (as a dealer) remember a guy that paid cash for (2) YFZs?
* Would you (as a dealer) remember a guy that paid you cash to do some simple mods to the second of 2 YFZs - even before he took delivery?
* Would you (as a dealer) back up a customer that paid cash for (2) YFZs and then one of the broke because your mechanic wasn't able to install a piston properly?

I havent seen anything like the dealerships in this area. Try to get out of warranty work...everything is your fault...and jumps all over the fact that they give you 10% off merchandise that is 30% higher then what is offered online. Sorry, starting to rant...who do you deal with now and what do you think of them.
Trust me, you won't find any less bullchit @ south valley. Why? Yelling (all together now) THEY SUCK BIG TIME!!!

From now on it's nothing but price - if I buy new. If you ain't gots the lowest price, I'm walk'n - period. I'll do my own service work. From now on, I'm buy from dealers like I'm Mr. T - I call the shots - or yer dirt.

Old 03-26-2004, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

Yesterday I looked at both the Honda and the Yamaha, almost side by side. It appeared to me that the Yamaha had a slightly wider track width in the front, and a more aggressive front camber. That gives me the impression the Yamaha is slightly more stable in stock trim. I've just read where some folks are put off by the stiff suspension, and I don't want to get beat to death riding this thing. Forget the seat, that's a non-issue. I can have that reworked easily.

Old 03-26-2004, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

all I know is i want one...

Old 03-26-2004, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

Buy a DS [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: YFZ--Will I be happy?