Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Shiny Wheels! How to remove anodized coatings and achieve trick, slick, factory wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2000, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replied to a question regarding this before, but I thought I'd post a couple of my better pictures that show how shiny that your factory aluminum wheels can be.

I'm using this page for an alternate reason, but you can go here: http://www.vci.net/~bash/banshee_wheels.htm and take a look at those beaming beauties.

The procedure to remove the gold or silver anodize is to use Easy-Off oven cleaner and a medium Scotch bright pad to remove the anodize. Spray down the wheel and let is set for 10-15 minutes. Then, wearing gloves, use the pad to remove the anodize. This procedure may take 3 or 4 sessions before it's all gone.

After you have the gold or silver gone, start using finer grades of scotch bright and Mothers or equivalent Eagle-1 metal polish. It can be found at Auto-Zone and other parts stores.

You will eventually work it down to a very smooth surface. Your last pad to use should be a 000 steel wool pad (still using the polish).

After that, just use a soft cloth and follow the directions on the can of polish.

Old 07-17-2000, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

Whoa! So, my Warrior has them gold stock rims, I can make them look like that? Cuz whoa. I been thinkin about gettin chromes, that would be nice if I could make them look like that though!

Old 07-17-2000, 03:56 PM
Range Rover

One other tip.... to make the job quicker and easier, put the bike up on blocks, and start it up. Have someone give it the gas in a mid to high gear while you put the pad to the wheels. It's the next best thing to having the wheels on a lathe. Instead of scouring each wheel for hours, you let the bike do the work while you just hold the scotchbrite in one place.

Old 07-17-2000, 04:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, sounds like a good idea, but i got a question. can it work on stock black coated rims??? Cause i got a 2000 kodiak and i bet it would look awesome if i had some chrome rims. later

Old 07-17-2000, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

mudhungry your wheels are Metal so that wont work.

Old 07-17-2000, 10:12 PM
Range Rover

I work at a machine shop, so I would like to put in my two cents. No matter what the color of the rims, the aluminum will be silver underneath. Whether it's black, or gold, it is still a coating applied to the outer surface. I woudn't use Oven-Kleen, I would use 220 grit sandpaper, then move up to 400, 600, 800, 1000, and THEN I would use the ScotchBrite. It will still look dull, but if you go over with a coarse polishing compound and then a fine compound, it will finish to a mirror shine. It really doesn't matter that it's wheel on a quad. Metal is metal. However, this is probably serious overkill, but it all depends on how nice you want the finished product. By the way, putting the quad in gear, and letting the wheels spin is an excellent idea. That would give an even, consistent finish, as opposed to scrubbing back and forth by hand.

Old 07-17-2000, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

But how do I do the front wheels on my Warrior?? Oh-oh maybe put them on the back axle!!! That might work huh?? just to polish them!! Hehe, peace

Old 07-17-2000, 11:01 PM
Range Rover

The bolt hole pattern is a larger diameter on the front, than the back, though. guess you would have to get creative, or do it the old fashioned way.

Old 07-17-2000, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Watch out for the lugs.OUCH that would hurt

Old 07-17-2000, 11:31 PM
Range Rover

hey guys, will a sandblaster work to take the coating off then throw some clear coat paint from a can to put a little bit of a shiny appearance

Quick Reply: Shiny Wheels! How to remove anodized coatings and achieve trick, slick, factory wheels!