Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

banshee spews coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2000, 01:03 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a stock banshee with toomey pipes and an open airbox with a kn filter. im pretty sure its not over heating because i did that once on a trail ride. i was at the dunes in rexburg and if i added coolent and rode on the dunes it would spill out the hose by the pipes not spray.

Old 07-17-2000, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem with my 97,banshee. the coolent impeller was broken and also some bearings in there were hashed. these 2 items are on the right side of motor in front of the crank case.

Old 07-17-2000, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Try this first... take the cap off and make sure nothing is on the sealing surfaces of the cap and where the cap seals on the radiator opening. Once all the stuff holding the cap open are removed it shouldn't leak any coolent unless it's really over heating.

Old 07-18-2000, 01:17 AM
Trailblazer

the guy at the yamaha dealer said it was from the bumps and going up and down the dunes it would enter the hose and spill out. was he feeding me a line? he said to run the overflow as low as possible.

Old 07-18-2000, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

i have actually heard that it's somewhat normal for coolant to drip out the overflow tube. my banshee is stock, in good shape, and it drips a little coolant on each ride...

now if coolant actually spills out, i guess that might be a different story....?

Old 07-18-2000, 12:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fakie is right it is normal that it drips out, I mostly noticed it coming out of the right side when I first got my bike, now it doesnt do it at all since I have a coolhead, just make sure you check the coolant resivor once in a while to make sure its full and you bike will be ok.

Old 07-18-2000, 01:08 PM
Range Rover

The smartest way 've seen to help this is move your overflow tank from the back up to the open space between your a-arms. I myself havn't had overflow problems, but a friend with the same year banshee as mine did. I showed him where to move it to and he hasn't had a problem since.

Old 07-18-2000, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

It just wouldn't seem like a Banshee without the coolant dripping all over your pipes. It seems to be as peewee said from going up and down the hills; the coolant gets trapped then spills out when you go up/down the next hill. When it overheats you will know it by the "percolating" noises in your engine.

Old 07-18-2000, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

Banshees tend to run hot. Get a cool head..it will run much cooler. also, splice a longer hose segment into the end of the existing hose. Route it down to below the lower control arms where it can occasionally drip out without causing a mess. Never had any problems since I did this to mine.

Old 07-19-2000, 09:08 AM
Trailblazer

My 98 Banshee spills coolant out of the overflow, when I am just plain hauling down a strait road, full throttle. Smells like Graham crackers and milk. Always makes me hungary.

Quick Reply: banshee spews coolant