Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

The Yfz450 in my eyes....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Yfz450 in my eyes....

Okay so hear is what i see that most of you dont. The yfz onthe forums is known to do greatly on mx and mx only. One of my pals got one yesterday and we do mostly trailriding so we went out for the day. We went to a local track 2 times crossing a river, trying to see as far as we can go with mudd and water and hard terrian, roads and hills. The yfz is a amazing machine in all catigorys. I see it as one of the best trail atvs out there today. Suspenion was perfect, Revs to the moon, roost like a beast, Does what its told [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img], and best of all make it threw mudd up to its light about. A lot better then a lot of machines that i was with {big bear, 2 mojave's, 250x, and 250 ex}. I coukdent believe my eyes. This thing was kiling everything it came to. I now want a yfz wayy more then a raptor. The hard seat was no problem, you had no time to even think about it. I think the yamaha yfz is a atv for a stern trail rider, mxer, or jumper.

Old 03-28-2004, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

raptor has loads more torque, and is insane in the trails and good at hill climbing, i havnt ridden anything better for woods

Old 03-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider

Have you riddena yfz yet

Old 03-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

You're about the 3rd person on the forums in the last week to have this revalation. They are hot machines and love to be worked. They can be riden slow - not the way to judge them though. Once "free-modded" and wrung out, they take on a whole new meaning.

Edit: In fact, there's a fella in your state making mine even hotter as we speak. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Yamaha4eva
raptor has loads more torque, and is insane in the trails and good at hill climbing, i havnt ridden anything better for woods
When my friends that own raptors with the common mods (pipe, filter, jetted) ride my YFZ, thats all they say about it..I can't believe how much more torque that thing has in comparison to my raptor.

Old 03-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My view.....

From my little experience on the YFZ, it is a great machine. For it's purpose. I know it has to be a great machine for MX, because it accelerates very fast...and has awesome handling. It was definelty built for a purpose, and it serves it's purpose very well. It is also a good drag quad on 300ft, but the cc's limit what it can be, compared to other model's that frequent the drag track. It's a very impressive hill climbing quad, not the best, but definetly something to deal with when it comes to scaling some knarly hill climbs on the trails.

One thing that limit's the YFZ, is it's cc size, because it can only be bored so far, and with it's already tricked out motor, there is little room for overall improvement. I know it hasn't been out long, and that there will be more mod's to come for the engine, but at the current moment, they do not gain large amounts of HP like other quads with internal mod's. And the seat can wear you out on long trail rides. I'm not talking a couple hour stroll...I'm talking a full day worth of riding on trails. I had some experience with the YFZ on the trails, and while it's not noticeable at first when your trail riding, a long run on rough terrain and you start feeling the beating that the seat really dishes out.

As for the dunes...I don't know how the YFZ reacts. There is no sand dunes in WV. I don't know how well they drag race, or how well they climb in sand, but I know what I see in video's of them on sand, they are impressive. A lot more impressive on sand then on dirt and pavement. And part of that is with the weight. The light YFZ will glide over the sand easier then the heavier quads. I know the few video's I have seen from around these forum's and others, that the YFZ is a great quad for dunes. But when you put them on pavement and hard pack dirt, they respond differntly, and they don't really "kill" some of the quads I see them defeat in sand.

One awesome concept on the YFZ, is that it stood up to Honda's challenge and defeated it. Honda had more time to tinker on their quad, and defeat the YFZ, but in most all cases that I have seen, and read about, the YFZ's were in the winner's circle. So I definetly enjoy the fact that Yamaha has it's name etched at the top of the sport quad world. The YFZ really completed the package that Yamaha offers, and it is a great addition.

Even though a lot of you probaly think I like dissing the YFZ, I don't. I just state what I have found out, and what I hear. I use my own experience, and judgement when I post, and I only speak my opinion. The only time I really get into a heated arguement is when someone starts posting about how great the YFZ is, and how no other quad can compete or compare to it. Because while it's a awesome quad, it is not the best in every situation. It has it's place, just like other quads. Some quads perform better then others in some applications, and no one quad dominates every situation or terrian.

JMO...bash away.

Old 03-28-2004, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Ridley
Having had both, in stock and modified form, there's only two things a raptor will do better than a YFZ. One is go backwards, and the other is pulling your buddies honda out of the woods. Other than that, the raptor isn't even close. Thats not my opinion, its simple fact.
Wouldnt that mean the Raptor had more torque?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2004, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

I can't believe how much more torque that thing has in comparison to my raptor.
someone should teach your friends what torque is then...

Old 03-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Thats not my opinion, its simple fact
lmfao a fact? wow someone is over confident

Old 03-29-2004, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

I had rappy, getting a YFZ next. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: The Yfz450 in my eyes....