Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Explain to Me a cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Explain to Me a cam

I Am confused on what they are doing indide the engine.. This is probobly a "stupid" question but oh well. Quick easy anwsers are the best

Old 03-28-2004, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

The Cam opens the valves to let exhaust out and gas and air in from the carb.

Old 03-28-2004, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

So how would a aftermarket one help me?

Old 03-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

it could have a larger duration(how long the valve stays open) or lift(how much the valve opens) be ware, the larger the cam, the higher octain you'll have to run, to an extent.

Old 03-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Alright Ecej, bear with me.......Ok, the efficiency, HP, and Torque of an engine all has to do with how much air gets in and how much air gets out of an engine. Ok, remember that.

An aftermarket cam has higher "Lift", which is how much the valve opens. More "Lift" means the valves open more, letting in more air and fuel.

They also have longer "Duration", which is the amount of time the valve stays open (in degrees for rotation-like a 270 degree cam will keep the valve open at a said lift for 270 degrees of cam rotation), which will let in more air and fuel.

And you have overlap (also in degrees), which is when both intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time. That allows a "sucking" effect when the exhaust goes out to help draw more intake air into the cylinder.

Too much lift and overlap will give great high RPM power, but a weak low-end and a crappy idle. So, a cam with slightly more lift than stock would be good for trails, etc.

Does this help at all? I can try to explain things clearer if you would like.

Old 03-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

you gonna tell him what it is to float valves to?

Old 03-28-2004, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

in simple words, it gives ur engine more of what it needs to go fast [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2004, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: fasternu
Alright Ecej, bear with me.......Ok, the efficiency, HP, and Torque of an engine all has to do with how much air gets in and how much air gets out of an engine. Ok, remember that.

An aftermarket cam has higher "Lift", which is how much the valve opens. More "Lift" means the valves open more, letting in more air and fuel.

They also have longer "Duration", which is the amount of time the valve stays open (in degrees for rotation-like a 270 degree cam will keep the valve open at a said lift for 270 degrees of cam rotation), which will let in more air and fuel.

And you have overlap (also in degrees), which is when both intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time. That allows a "sucking" effect when the exhaust goes out to help draw more intake air into the cylinder.

Too much lift and overlap will give great high RPM power, but a weak low-end and a crappy idle. So, a cam with slightly more lift than stock would be good for trails, etc.

Does this help at all? I can try to explain things clearer if you would like.
Jesus, that sounded like it came out of a book [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2004, 12:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider

All good explainations,
If you need visuals, try this site, it has an animated illistration of a cam in action.
camshaft

Old 03-29-2004, 08:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

be ware, the larger the cam, the higher octain you'll have to run, to an extent
If by larger you mean more lift and/or duration you're backwards. <u>Normally</u> a larger cam will bleed off more cylinder pressure which reduces the chances of detonation/pre ignition, which is the only reason to use a higher octane fuel.

Quick Reply: Explain to Me a cam