Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Deciding on new paddle tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding on new paddle tires

Originally posted by: duneittilludie
bigbubba-I run 20-10-8 10 paddle haulers on my raptor and i like them much better than the 22s that i was running.I would think that with the horsepower that you are running that a set of 10 paddles in a 20" hauler would be about right .I saw you running at florence out at comp a couple of weeks ago(at least i think it was you )and you were doing very well so a new set of tires and the traction that they will give you would be well worth it.I have no experience with extremes so i cant give you an educated opinion on them.
Ya, prolly was me. I was runnin up comp this on sat and I don't grab worth sh*t, just spins and revs really fast. I was gettin beat/tieing piped rappys and just barly beating predators lol, I felt slow! If I take it out to the wet flats I freakin fly though! I'm really worried about screwin my gearing up if I get anything above 20", I really hate figuring out what gearing you like.

Old 03-29-2004, 07:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Don't worry about the gearring, thats EASY to figure out!

If I was going to get another set of paddles it would be 22x??x8 with 10 or 11 extreme hauler paddles. BUT duneittilludie said he didn't like the taller paddles. I think the 8" rim is important!

What is your gearring now?
Can you try those taller haulers out again?
Are you sure your clutch isn't slipping instead of the tires spinning?...I made that mistake once.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 03-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

Why the 8" rims Ward?

Old 03-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

My clutch isnt slipping, I know the power is getting to the ground. I don't wanna get 8" rims unless I'm getting Ultra Lites because I already have 10" rims and don't have money to get others and 8" rims don't work as well all around just for racing. My gearing is in my sig. and it's too pricy to buy new gears all the time playing with it and tryin to get what you like. Is there a really good reason to get 22" ?? If not I'll stick with 20". I also noticed that the 20" tires have alot more paddle coming in contact with the ground being more low profile and flat.

Like I said, I know I want the extreme haulers I just don't know what size. If anyone knows the pros and cons of the different sizes please let me know [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thanks!!

Old 03-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

Are you wanting strictly a hill shooting tire? Flat drag tire? Do you also do jumping or trail riding?

Old 03-29-2004, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

I have 20x10x10 8 paddle edges on mine. They hook up real well.

Old 03-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

I'm wanting a good all around tire. I like to hillshoot so I want a tire that will excel in that also.

I'm planning on getting ultra lites for my drag tire here someday when I have the money, but as for now I need to replace my old crappy paddles.

Old 03-29-2004, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

The gearing you are running is close to stock, can you tell me why you want the 14 in the front. Can you run a case saver? I bet if you tried those paddles again and put a 13T up front you might change your mind. Also air pressure changes your traction.

Old 03-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigBubba
My clutch isnt slipping, I know the power is getting to the ground. I don't wanna get 8" rims unless I'm getting Ultra Lites because I already have 10" rims and don't have money to get others and 8" rims don't work as well all around just for racing. My gearing is in my sig. and it's too pricy to buy new gears all the time playing with it and tryin to get what you like. Is there a really good reason to get 22" ?? If not I'll stick with 20". I also noticed that the 20" tires have alot more paddle coming in contact with the ground being more low profile and flat.

Like I said, I know I want the extreme haulers I just don't know what size. If anyone knows the pros and cons of the different sizes please let me know [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Thanks!!
Well if you decide to try the 22" tire again also try 12/42 gearring, it is real close to what you have now, but just a tiny bit lower.

The benefit to a taller tire is that it has more conact with the ground all the time. This lets he paddle stay in the sand more time per revolution, giving you more traction. You'll also get more floatation from a 22" tire because of the larger contact patch.

8" rim gives you more tire flex when launching (imagine a dragsters wrinkle wall tire).

Old 03-29-2004, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

I know my gearing is close to stock, and no I don't need a case saver. If I change my gearing to something similar to what I have it will still screw it up when I put the taller tires on. I need a chart that also shows gearing ratios with the tire size. If 22" tires are better why does everyone use 20"? I don't see anyone using 22" tires unless they are ultra lites. The fact that the taller tires "wrinkle" doesn't matter much to me, I don't need drag tires. I'll get ultra lites for that, right now I just want a great all around tire that still performs well when dragging and hillshooting.

I have my bros 22" tires on still...next time I goto the coast I'll play with some gearing to see if I can get it to where I want with 22's. If I get it to where I like it I'll prolly end up gettin 22x10x10 10 paddle extreme haulers. Does that setup sound about right?

Anyother opinions are gladly welcome! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Deciding on new paddle tires