Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yfz or Trx.....Raptor???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yfz or Trx.....Raptor???

I'm considering selling my scrambler and getting a 450. Don't get me wrong, the scrambler is an awesome 4x4(and prob the fastest) but i was looking for somthing lighter and more towards freestyle (wheelies, big air), trail riding, and some dragging......What ive been learning is that these two bikes(trx 450, yfz450) are the best in these catagories, so some feed back on how good they really perform(from the owners themselfs) would be great, thanks alot......

Also, this past weekend i went to a friends house and he had a raptor that he let me try out, As far as mods go...it was piped and jetted for all i know, but the thing ripped. I had road it down a long concrete road and each gear it flew, but as for everything else...ehh it was different i should say. It has a monsterous engine in it, but the design was wierd, felt like i was really high off the ground and the front end has like no weight to it so like everytime i tap the gas it would want to come up(not that this is a bad thing) but i just think its a poor design for such a nice engine, and as far as mx and other things go besides dragging, it wouldnt perform too good...just my opinion, please hit me with imput if you agree or dissagree...thanks again

Old 03-29-2004, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

my bad for the double post....haha wireless keyboard went nuts...

Old 03-30-2004, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

do a search, you'll find gobs of information on both, guaranteed.

Old 03-30-2004, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

I love my YFZ, I never thought Id ride a quad this nice (and its stock!). The shocks are stiffer than the Hondas, I only weight 120lbs and managed to bottom the shocks, but that was only when I overjumped a few tables, the Honda wont do as well with big air, but will provide a better ride on the slower stuff like trails. I managed to get out of shape in the air a few times, the YFZ soaked up the rough landings with ease. The YFZ has more of a 2 stroke like powerband, I love it, although 1st gear is kinda high. The Hondas 1st gear is even higher, but the torque will bail you out in most cases, I found this to be true on my YFZ also, I can lug it around the corners with some clutch work.

Youll be blown away one you get some air on either machine, the shocks are simply amazing, plan on grabbing some clutch and rear brake in the air on the Honda though, it tends to fly a little nose high.

It really just depends on what youll be doing, from the sounds of it, the YFZ will suit your needs and then some [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-30-2004, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

If you don't like the Rappy then get a YFZ. You should really ride it more before you say it's good for nothing but drags though. You need to know how to handle it, going from a scrambler to a rappy is quite a difference. Once you get used to the feel of the bike it becomes much easier to handle. You say you were riding it on a road too, asphalt gives you alot of traction of course the nose will come up easy. It stays down more when you take in on the trails. If these were major problems to you then go try out a YFZ at the closest dealership and compair them.

Old 03-30-2004, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

i think the YFZ outdoes the TRX to be honest. I'm not being biased or anything because i know i would love either of them but as far as i have seen the yfz has more power and handles better on ground and in the air. yfz or rappy i would say.

Old 03-30-2004, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

Guys... I may be wrong but I think weight has a little (or alot) to do with it. I chose the Rappy cause I weigh about 220. I thought That was a bit heavy for a 450... although the 450 is a mighty quick quad. I prefer the handling of the Raptor on trails and the ever lovin torque my girl gives me is a pure head rush every time I flip the throttle. The 450 was designed primarily as MX quad and is probably a good 50 pounds lighter than a Raptor...It'll tire ya a little quicker I would think... Just seems like a bike you have to work alot. I'm not an expert cause I only rode one once but preffered the Raptor for it"s size and ride and my weight. They are both Yamaha's so I guess it wouldn't really matter .lol. >>> Good luck in your decision[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-30-2004, 01:41 AM
Pro Rider

both 450's are great bikes. Ive put a lot of seat time on both and i cant complain about either. Go sit on both and im sure you will know exactly what you want. My opinion is if you want a better mx bike then buy the yfz. If you want a faster bike in stock or close to stock form (pipe, cam mod or hrc kit) then go with the yfz. If you want a more comfortable ride then go with the trx.

As far as the raptor goes its sort of in a different class. From what it sounds like what you want to do (mx, jumping, and freestyle) then the yfztrx450r's are the best bikes. If you want to build a full sand drag bike then go with a banshee. If you want to be the king of trails then go with a 450r or a raptor.

These are all just my opinions.

Old 03-30-2004, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ItalianStallion
The 450 was designed primarily as MX quad and is probably a good 50 pounds lighter than a Raptor...It'll tire ya a little quicker I would think...
hey trust me man the YFZ can do a hell of a lot more than just MX. there is not a single thing that the yfz does not excel at other than rock crawling or mud bogging. it is awesome for trails, dunes, desert, dirt, track pretty much anything you throw at it.

Old 03-30-2004, 02:35 AM
Pro Rider

it even does good in the water. My girlfriend was riding mine and she got stuck on a steep dune with a pond at the bottom. She ended up in the middle of the pond with water over the foot pegs. She made me pull it out and it rode through the water no problem. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]