Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Fuel leaking from Raptor carb

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 01:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel leaking from Raptor carb

Rode my new Raptor today for the first time. I keep smelling gas. I realize the carburator on the right side has a small rubber hose coming from the very bottom of the carb bowl. Fuel is pouring out of that line. The only way to stop it is to turn off the fuel at the petcock. My belly pan is completely full of gas and it's running everywhere. I'm not talking about a few drips, it's RUNNING constantly. What is the cause? Stuck float? Easy to fix? Can I drop the float bowl with the carbs still in place and spray some carb cleaner in there? This thing only has about 1 hour on it, I don't think there's any dirt in the tank.

Old 03-31-2004, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

try and spank it with something like a ratchet handle . gentle~~ if that dosent work drag it back to the dealer and make them fix it .
By the way Congrats on the New raptor

Old 03-31-2004, 01:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, I know I can take it to the dealer, but those guys usually want to hold it for a week before they even touch it. This is gonna be a 30 min fix, I think. I think I'll try tapping on it with a wrench or something to see if that frees the float.

Do you know if the float bowl can be removed with the carb in place?

Old 03-31-2004, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

Zx, You have to remove the carbs to open the float bowl. It should be an easy fix even if you have to pull the float bowl. Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the best info you'll ever find on the net. We (Collectivly) are not responsible for how much $ this place may cause you to spend.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2004, 01:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, Fellas. I guess I'll be wrenching on my brand friggin new Rappy. Come to think of it, I smelled gas on the way home from the dealership. I had my sliding back glass open for fresh air, and air was not so fresh. It must have been leaking even before I ever rode it. That sux. Even with a float stuck, it runs fast and I am SO excited. I bought a used Blaster not long ago and decided to graduate to something a little more exciting. I got the white and red one....she's a beauty. I can't wait to do all that stuff they said not to do in the owner's manual. Funny,...not long ago I said that I wouldn't spend more than a couple grand for a stupid quad, now look at me!!!

Old 03-31-2004, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider

Do a search for "floats" and it will give you the right way to adjust the floats. You might as well start out right. Most are off from the factory and your's obviously is no exception. I know mine was.

Old 04-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Range Rover

Check the float valve. Several times I've had a tiny piece of debri hanging the float valve up, this could be do to riding in the Southwick sand but, its amazing how small of a piece of dirt (literally a grain) will hang up a valve and cause it to over flow.