Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

buildin a mx track

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 07:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buildin a mx track

i would also like to do the same thing. i have about 5 acres of space to do it. my blaster has only the crappy stock suspension so i cant really make any thing that big. my dads got a john deer tractor and a front end loader (would that work?) so what would you recommend and how would i go about doing it? thanx

Old 11-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

hellz yea that loader will work.. i suggest shaping it first then order some rocks or somthing as a sturdy base..Clay if you can but its much expensive then over the (rocks / clay) put 6'' + DIRT on top of that... make sure its enough that if it wears down you wont kick rocks around!!!!

Old 11-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a DS870 that will flat out Shit and Git!

How to build a track

Old 11-08-2004, 11:51 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

Originally posted by: Roach007
Okay instead of making a new topic I will use a existing one. I am in the process of planning out a bigger track in my back yard. I was wondering if there was any good sites with areal (spelling) views so I can get an idea. i got about three acres to mess with.
www.globexplorer.com or www.globeexplorer.com can't remembwe which...

Old 11-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the site OVERRATED.

We got ahold of some 55 gallon drums and filled them with a bunch of junk to form our jumps. If the weather stays nice I have a guy coming over to move some dirt in the morning, FREE of charge.

Thanks for the info guys it will be of help.

Old 11-09-2004, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

no prob if i were you id watch out for those 55 gallon drums. i built a jump like that and the drum came out from under me and i landed on my a$$ 40 feet away breaking my tail bone

Old 11-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

One acre is not much, but with careful planning you'll be able to get some kind of track out of it. I have complete picks of the layout of my track, I just don't have them up yet. This thread will motivate me to get them developed and on my page. Look for them Thursday morning or Wednesday night.

It's not much but it's fun. It might be on two very narrow acres. Jump tally includes: a 20 ft. downhill double into a 35 foot table top. After the table is the 50 ft. triple. After the extremely tight right hand turn(which is getting a berm) you have a triple-wide single jump that'll send you anywhere from 15-40 feet depending on how hard you hit it. Then you have a choice of two left hand turns. Depending on which turn you take, you either have a 40 foot step-on step-off, or a 4 jump rhythm section consisting of odd-spaced doubles. Then you have a straight into a left-hander. Coming out of the sweeping left turn there is a lowspeed single jump, and then the straight that leads into the work-in-progress uphill triple. Right now it's only about a 30 foot double, I need to put in the triple landing to make it a sixty footer. Then you make a bermed left turn into the opening downhill double and start all over.

Again, look for pics later this week. Though I will be using a bobcat(which makes everything so easy) again this weekend to add a berm, finish the uphill, and add on to the tabletop, so the track will be slightly different than in the pictures.

If you want to get some gnarly ideas, go to dougust.com and watch the helmet cam video of him taking a lap around his track. Sick! The berm is a good idea, you want to practice corners the most. Start out with single jumps to get the hang of jumping. As you get better, you can progress and combine them to make small doubles. Whoops are always a good idea, too.

If you want to save dirt, make your larger jumps single wide. Use old logs for filler, they are sturdier than 50 gallon drums if you don't have dirt.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

Logs.. good idea well they tend to break down over time. hasn't happened to my tripple i basically built it on logs and there is only a little bit of dirt on top of them.. make sure you fill the gaps with dirt or rocks!!!! as i said they will break down over time.. mine lasted 3 years n 3 winters going into my 4th!!

Old 11-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

What we did with the Barrels, we dug a trench and put them in in the trench, then we took 2 loads of dirt and put over the barrels to form the jump. We hit with water for a couple of days to really pack the dirt down and took a yard roller and packed it down. I will try and post a few pics of the track.