Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor sputters on top end wats up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor sputters on top end wats up?

im not sure what it is cuz it was running awsome then we rebuilt it cuz it start to smoke badly so then i fire it up and it studders on top end and all we did to the engine was put in a stock piston ,rings and cam chain in and it will run good on bottom end and when i punch it.....it will studder could that be a clogged jet or does that mean it still need to be broken in but i have atleast 12 to 14 hours on the rebuild

Old 11-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

Check your float in the 2nd carb. I had a float stick on me a few weeks ago and I thought I had major engine probs. I picked up the front end and dropped it a few times and it unstuck the float and it ran perfect.

You might also want to check your cylinder head and gasket and make sure you tightened everything down to the right torque (criss cross pattern) so you're not getting any compression leaks.

It really sounds like a fuel problem so I would jet richer as you go down your troubleshooting list. Do you get any backfiring?

Old 11-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

i get back fires every once and awhile but i let a professional do my engine so i think the bolt will be good and gaskets

but im going to tear down my carbs tomorrow and find out wats wrong with it i though maybe my main jet was clogged

when your float stuck it cause it to back fire? and why?

thank man i though something was wrong in my engine

Old 11-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah, it was backfiring like a ****...Bad....Not enough fuel getting into the cylinder cause of the stuck float created the lean condition and it backfired. It really sounds like your jetting is too lean, don't think it's a float if you can open it up as much as you say...

Old 11-08-2004, 02:44 AM
Trailblazer

How do you like your Raptor lowered? I was thinking about doing that. Does it stiffen up your suspension quite a bit? I'm going to get new plastics and lower it then stop putting money into this thing till next spring. These things will drain ya if you try to get everything at once. I need to slow down...

Old 11-08-2004, 02:48 AM
Pro Rider

Well, what the other guys have said, check out that carb.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

ya im going to tear down the carbs and see if there any dirt in there and then put them back together.

i dont have the lower thing on it anymore but ya it was stiff and the front end would never pick up on my at all even going up hills i could pin it and it wouldnt pick up but u kno u cant jump

it starts to studder as soon as u punch the throttle like maybe 1/2 throttle

Old 11-09-2004, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer

So the suspension became too stiff to jump when you lowered it? Can you lower between 1 - 4" with most kits? I wonder if 2" would be good? I'm thinking about getting the lowering kit.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

no its not that it was too stiff its just that when u lower your front it will uneven your quad so u cant jump yea the travel was about 2 inchs in the front when i did that now i have works on there

Old 11-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Trailblazer

Did you figure out the sputtering?

Quick Reply: Raptor sputters on top end wats up?