Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

reverse rev limiter

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverserev limiter

I have read on this forum and some other sources about grounding the green and white wire that is behind the left side case on my 04 grizz to override the reverse rev limiter. Can this cause any harm to the electrical system ?? Is there more than one green wire with a white stipe?? I would like to put a switch on it so I only disable it when I want to so would I leve the wire togehther and just tap into it somewhere and run a wire to the switch and then from switch to ground ?? This would keep it operating normal with the reverse light working until I push the button right ?? Should I wait until it is out of warranty before doing this ?? Sorry for so many questions, But this is the first four wheeler I have owned. I am not new to riding just owning. Thanks for any help. One more question, How many hours should I put on before running synthetic oil ??or should I just run Yamalube ??

Old 04-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Range Rover
Default reverse rev limiter

I have an 02' grizz and I put an over ride button on mine but the 04' modle that you have should already have it. Grounding the green with a white striped wire cannot harm the electrical system that is simply what the switch does. I took a quick look in the back of my yfm660fp service manual and the only G/W wire i saw was to the reverse switch. Got me on the one wire deal, I cannot remember if it's grounded or open when in reverse, use an ohm meter to find out or just run 2 wires to the switch. The reverse light works untill you press the button. As far as the warranty, there is a bullet connector that goes to the switch, just get a male and female connector and make up your wires and don't cut the factory ones, take the thing off if you need to take it ti the shop, they will never know. Do not use synthetic oil, yama lube or regular oil is OK. I like 20-50 in summer and 10-40 in winter. It is a belt drive but it also has a wet clutch. Synthetic oil will make the wet clutch slip!

Old 04-06-2004, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks hitman !! Did you put a button on the handle bars or mount it somewhere else ?? My 04 has an override, But it is for the front locking diff. If I hold the override buttom it is supposed to keep the front end locked at any rpm or speed.

Old 04-06-2004, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

I hate the Reverse Limiter things, Kodiak and Raptor both have them and it $ucks expecially in the mud trying to get out

Old 04-06-2004, 04:59 PM
Range Rover

I have recently done the reverse bypass on my 2003 Grizz using Grizzhoppers method from highlifter.com.It works great and very easy to do.The 2004 override button is for diff. lock not reverse.Also Amsoil Synthetic oil is specifically designed for wet clutches.I run Amsoil 0-40 Synthetic and know of several people that do and have had no problems whatsoever.I put it in mine after the break in period which was 20 hours or 200 miles if I remember correctly.Also seeing your from MN you will have the advantage of the excellent cold weather coverage and starting of a 0-40 weight oil that covers such an extreme temp. range,and will not have to change the oil if it overlaps the season (winter-summer).

Old 04-06-2004, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Jt and everyone else, I see your from Mora I go through there a lot. I think I replied to a post of yours and said I had property west of you. I was thinking you said Moose Lake., I am about 55 miles dead north of Mora. I switch off going through Mora to get to our property and going through Moose Lake. Mora way is shorter, But Moose Lake way is faster.