Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Shifting without the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting without the clutch

Is it bad to shift without using the clutch, like downshifting and stuff. I always use the clutch but my friend seems to think its find not to use it. So is it find or will it tear something up later on?

Old 04-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

On my R I always use the clutch but my cable broke once and had to go 50 miles with out it. Really wasnt bad as long as I kept going. I think as long as you dont slam it into gear or out of gear its really no different. Just keep the R's up when you do it. Thats just me though. A mechanic may tell you different.

Old 04-06-2004, 07:56 PM
Pro Rider

ide realy like to no whut a makanic has to say, my cousin nevey uses a cluch and he has bean riding dirt bikes and atvs since he was like 5 now he's 25. he says id dosn't heart aney thing but i don't beleve him[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] are there aney macanics out there??
thanx!

Old 04-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

it dosnt seem like it would be good for it anyway cuz it jumps, and when ur bike jumps like tht it dosnt feel right at all so i use the clutch at all times even if it was safe to not use it

Old 04-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think that if you are good at it and match the rpms right it is probably fine...but from my viewpoint I figure that they put the clutch on there for a reason. Plus the pred doesn't really appriciate speed shifting.

Old 04-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

rofl... ya the pred hates it actually... trust me.... i found out the hard way while drag racing.
i always use the clutch... its there for a reason and if your too lazy to pull a little lever now and again than you shouldnt be riding.

Old 04-06-2004, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Hozed is right i mean why would they put the thing on there. to tug one when ever your board with yuo left hand LOL. I have heard that if you match your rpm's perfect you can do it without popping her it would be fine. But you will never find me doing that.. on anything

Jbomb

Old 04-06-2004, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

You guys are funny. Z71... just let off the gas a bit and shift. The clutch is used to keep the engine from stalling. Don't worry about it. I don't use the clutch on any of my toys. Just do it and you'll see. There are arguments for both sides of the issue, but history has proven to me (and many others) that there's not a problem w/ it.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:12 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replies guys!

Old 04-07-2004, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

i never upshift without using the clutch, i just don't, but...as long as gears don't grind, you'll be alright. I do slow my quad by downshifting quite freaqently. Last night, as a matter of fact, I did it, and I broke my shift lever...maybe its time to be a little bit easier on it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Shifting without the clutch