Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

sixsixt please read..

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sixsixt please read..

the k & n air filter mod you did (for the crank case) one.. if you posted about it could you direct me to the post.. and two how do you think that type of filter would do in wet conditions such as i have.. some mud some creek crossings other than that mostly open trails.. (id have to say 6 out of 10 rides dont have water/mud in them..)

Old 04-07-2004, 04:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Not SixSixT here.....but why not mount the filter in the air box. You could fab up 2 pieces of aluminum and some bolts for a mount, add some extra vacuum line (if necessary + connector). Taken care of and just as protected as your filter.
Gary

Old 04-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

that's exactly what he did (mounted it to the airbox). look at his pictures. he also lists the part number. i ordered mine straight from k&n. it was $25.

Old 04-07-2004, 07:13 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Originally posted by: FooBar
look at his pictures.
sixsixT photo gallery

Old 04-07-2004, 08:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use one of the water repellent outerwears with it you should be fine.

Old 04-08-2004, 06:22 AM
Range Rover

thanks... i knew enough to want it mounted high up on the quad.. but didnt know if it would still try and suck in alot of gunk..

Old 04-08-2004, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Heres a question. My raptor seems to blow air out of the breather hose when running. From the factory, if this hose would suck air in, it would suck in unfiltered air due to the connection on the air box lid. So heres the question, why would you need an extra filter on it if it does not suck in air, and if it ever would, suck in unfiltered air anyway (as designed by Yamaha).

Old 04-08-2004, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

The hose regulates preassure, so air is going in and out all the time.
I dont know about you but I don't want any un-filtered air getting into the most important part of my quad.

Old 04-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Busted
Heres a question. My raptor seems to blow air out of the breather hose when running. From the factory, if this hose would suck air in, it would suck in unfiltered air due to the connection on the air box lid. So heres the question, why would you need an extra filter on it if it does not suck in air, and if it ever would, suck in unfiltered air anyway (as designed by Yamaha).
You bring up a ? that I have in the past numerous times. I checked my Raptor at every RPM and when letting off the throttle as well. What did I find? Air is always pushing out. Apparantly, this is leakage by the rings finding a way out via the hose. I see no need for a filter. A filter is gonna create resistance and thats not what you want for obvious reasons. My unfiltered hose is routed too the air box since I run no lid.

Old 04-08-2004, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

The reason it was originally routed to the snorkle is for the same reason you have an airbox, for water protection and not for any filtration, so it's your call, one more thing at very high rpms over ruff terraine it is possible for some oil to shoot out the breather so if you do run a filter make sure you maintainance it as you would the carb filter, since a clogged filter will do you no good.

Quick Reply: sixsixt please read..